JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Opinions/thoughts/how do they compare to Dissection? :loco:

OK so I have two Carpathian Forest releases:

- Strange Old Brew
- Through Chasm, Caves, and Titan Woods

"SOB" is excellent, and although it's progressive, it's not proggy. The atmosphere is pretty icy & warped (and I think the saxaphone works really well to add to the atmosphere, just because it's not in your face).

"Through Chasm...." however isn't very good though. :erk: Erik will probably beat me with a stick for saying so, but I dunno, it just seems a tad 'straightforward'. Put it this way, with song titles like "The pale mist hovers toward the nightly shores", I want visions of pale mist hovering towards a nightly shore, but it falls short....am I wrong? Explain what I'm missing.

By the way, the same artwork for "Through Chasm..." is used on Wongraven's "Fjelltronen". Is this a real castle, or is it just a Kittilsen picture?

2319.jpg
3588.jpg

IN THE NIGHT THE FOREST LIES COOOOOLD
LONGING FOR THE NORTHWIND TO RETUUUUURN
HEAR THE SOMETHING WHISPERS IN THE WIND
BLA BLA SOMETHING BLA BLA BLAAA
THE RETUUUUURN! [MASSIVE ROCKIN RIFF]

I thought they were excellent at Wacken '03, FWIW, even though a corpsepainted black metal band playing in 95+ degree heat @ 3 in the afternoon didn't help any, lol

I have:
Black Shining Leather - love it
Defending the Throne of Evil - haven't heard it yet
Strange Old Brew - initial opinion is one of poopyness, but it's been awhile

I have "Defending the Throne of Evil". Need to give it more listens. Not something that hit me immediately. Not surprising, as Black Metal isn't something I listen to a great deal.

Zod

Claws of Perdition said:
Ive got Skjend Hans Lik, i like it but they are by no means my favourite black metal

That's actually one of those B-sides and alternate mixes/extra tracks releases. Unless you're really into CF, there's not much reason to own it.

If I had to rank the 5 CF true studio albums, it would be something like this:

1. Strange Old Brew
2. Black Shining Leather
3. Morbid Fascination of Death
4. Defending the Throne of Evil
5. Through Chasm, Caves & Titan Woods

I've only heard Defending the Throne of Evil which was ok but I don't remember it as it's been forever, and the Journey Through the Cold Moors of Svarttjern demo, which RULED from what I can remember :kickass:

I really like the early material and Through Chasm, Caves & Titan Woods, but after that, all albums contains some killer songs and some that doesn't interestest me at all.

Northern Hemisphere is amazing!

I listen to the Decade of Perversions compilation the most. It has some cool new songs that are catchy as all hell and perfectly represent their "black 'n roll" style that you hear on their later work. It also has a few really good cover songs and a killer live performance. Strange Old Brew is probably my favorite true album of theirs. Good band.