Cattle Decapitation - Karma.Bloody.Karma

Tom Strutton

Oct 23, 2006
Cattle Decapitation – Karma.Bloody.Karma
Metal Blade Records - 11th July 2006
by Tom Strutton

meat_grinder-1148382470_i_3008_full.jpg

Cattle Decapitation's third full length outing on Metal Blade Records is an impressive affair that takes the band's trademark musical complexity and lyrical integrity to an admirable level. Karma.Bloody.Karma certainly sits well amongst its peers and there is little to criticise on any front. By way of praise it is difficult to focus on the speed, brutality or complexity of the individual members’ performances, since such things have become commonplace in the genre to the point of becoming generic fallback devices for the more unimaginative of aspiring bands. Instead, one should perhaps approach Cattle Decapitation in terms of the lyrical themes/concepts that support everything from the artwork and music to the four members lifestyles. As a biting indictment of the ills of humanity, and a lesson in karma for those who brutally murder and consume animals without a second thought (for those who don't yet know these guys are vehemently vegetarian), Karma.Bloody.Karma's lyrical aspect is acutely reflected in its soundscapes. Here, cold-blooded slaughter and the consequences of such actions are presented as chaotic, schizophrenic, relentless fragments of fury spread over 3-4 minutes. No doubt many prospective buyers may claim they couldn't care less about the band's personal beliefs, and more still will detect a hint of self-righteousness in the text, but there is no denying that this is a remarkably successful marriage of lyrical concept and music. I have no hesitancy in admitting that the strength of the music here encouraged me to think over issues to which I had previously given little thought. So well done to Cattle Decapitation in that respect, for making a listener genuinely think about ethical issues is not an easy feat to achieve.

Putting aside extra-musical issues, is Karma.Bloody.Karma a worthwhile investment for those without the time or patience to devote to reading its lyrics? (which, typically, are aurally indecipherable). The answer to this is a safe 'yes'. Pleasingly, none of the eleven tracks (intro not included) are structurally predictable, though inevitably one comes to predict this unpredictability and is somewhat guided back to square one. Among the multiple layers of lead guitar parts and multiple vocal parts there is something new to find in each sucessive spin. To some ears the multitude of layers crammed into a relatively small audio field may be uncomfortable, but given the album's artistic intention this cramming of space has arguably been designed to evoke feelings of claustrophobia and panic. The drumming is thunderous and varied, changing direction whenever the music looks in danger of settling into a groove. The guitar parts are frequently frenetic, with some wonderful quick sweeps and effective dive-bombing. In terms of vox we have a mixture of death metal growls and black metal barks, a complimentary combination that acts as another safeguard against one-dimensionality. There is nothing to complain about in terms of production and mixing, everything is integrated well enough to allow concentration to be placed solely on musical events.

This is a great album, not essential for everyone but definitely worth checking out if you are into extreme metal.

Most positive aspect: Very focused and cohesive piece of work.
Most negative aspect: Makes an instant impression BUT could perhaps contain more memorable moments.

8/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Cattle Decapitation Website

Official Metal Blade Records Website

That's a great review, very well written. I was inspired to listen to this after reading, and I agree with all your comments. It's a great album and I'm especially pleased that it's rather unique -- something much needed in the DM genre.

Look forward to reading more of your reviews. I think you just upped the ante at UM.

Great band live if you get a chance to see em. Mindblowing drummer. I may check this out.