CD Review - Reverence - When Darkness Calls

TageRyche

May 13, 2007
Reverence
When Darkness Calls
Razar Ice Records - 2012
http://www.reverencemetal.com

I found out about this new band and their debut album via a news posting on the Blabbermouth.net website. The thing that caught my eye was the band's drummer was none other than ex-Savatage drummer Steve "Dr. Killdrums" Wacholz.

I ended up buying the CD through the band's website and looked forward to checking out what they had to offer.

Unfortunately I was left with an overall sense of disappointment after the CD ended. There is some good material on the album but I wasn't overly enthused about a lot of it.

The album was chock full of rocking tracks but I found that singer Todd Michael Hall's vocals were a bit too high pitched for my tastes in some of the songs.

The good was good and the lackluster stuff was just so flat and uninteresting I don't know that there will be many repeat plays for this disc.

I liked the intro for "Too Late" a lot and the song was good overall. The song "After The Leaves Have Fallen" is one of the slower tempo songs and has an interesting set of lyrics.

The best track on the album is undoubtedly "Bleed For Me". It's very fast paced with a chorus made stronger by the big backing vocals employed on it.

You can check out the video for two of the better songs below.

I was hoping to really love this CD because of the tie to my favorite band Savatage, but this is average AT BEST. I think the band could've done so much better. And the vocals need to be a bit lower in the stratosphere.

GRADE: C MINUS

61SWt4jp7JL._SL500_AA280_.jpg