charlie interview,great read

Good interview. Seems pretty honest. I like how he mentions punk as being an influence on thrash, I think that point gets overlooked a lot. Coming from a punk/metal/heavy music background, it's pretty clear to see how thrash started from all that. Just what Charlie says, metal needed a kick in the ass at the time and I think it's the punk influence that's most responsible for bringing that.

Eternal Terror: Do you think the metal scene struggles because of this lack of hunger sometimes?

Benante: I think the metal scene struggles... How can I put this it without sounding bad? Most true metalheads are not the most open-minded people when it comes to music. They like what they like and they want that — and you have to deliver that. If you go a little left field, I don't know, man, that's taking some chances there and you have to deliver. With this record, it is truly a heavy metal record. There's no other influence on this record other than hard rock and heavy metal.

I get what he means. Some metal fans are pretty set in their ways as far as what "metal" is. You see it here everyday. "Not thrashy enough", "too grungy" etc...

While I get the idea of wanting your favorite bands to sound a certain way, there's nothing wrong with expanding your horizons a little bit.

Eternal Terror: Do you think the metal scene struggles because of this lack of hunger sometimes?

Benante: I think the metal scene struggles... How can I put this it without sounding bad? Most true metalheads are not the most open-minded people when it comes to music. They like what they like and they want that — and you have to deliver that. If you go a little left field, I don't know, man, that's taking some chances there and you have to deliver. With this record, it is truly a heavy metal record. There's no other influence on this record other than hard rock and heavy metal.

I get what he means. Some metal fans are pretty set in their ways as far as what "metal" is. You see it here everyday. "Not thrashy enough", "too grungy" etc...

While I get the idea of wanting your favorite bands to sound a certain way, there's nothing wrong with expanding your horizons a little bit.

Yes. That's why acusations of sell-out are flung out left,right and center in the metal scene.

off Blabbermouth:
COMMENT | they do accept outside influences......
posted by : Self_Science
9/24/2011 2:15:47 PM
Report Abuse

but generally more in the underground than the kind of audience that Anthrax had traditionally courted.

and it's no surprise why fans avoided 'Stomp 442' like the plague in 1995.

it was shit alt-metal crossover. wasn't done well at all.

:lol: that's probably maidenboy's fav. Blabbermouth-comment ever.

...why no one dares to ask Charlie and Scott why they fired Dan Nelson and pretended that he quit?

T:)

I recall seeing a video interview with members of Anthrax when Nelson was in the band. Scott Charlie and Frank look really pissed and annoyed at Nelson.

I don't believe the shit stories. Personally speaking, if someone shit on me, I wouldn't fire him. I'd probably attempt to kill him.

Perhaps when they listened to the album with Nelson and got wind that Big Four was becoming a reality, they decided that this dude was not what they wanted to represent Anthrax at Big Four or on a new LP.

"Most true metalheads are not the most open-minded people when it comes to music."

That's the most honest and most true sentence that has EVER come from his mouth...