Charred Walls of the Damned

BurntOfferings666

God Of All Things Metal
For those of you who've been living under a rock....

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=120321

Metal Blade Records has announced the signing of acclaimed metal drummer Richard Christy's new project, CHARRED WALLS OF THE DAMNED (as first reported by BLABBERMOUTH.NET on May 14). This newly formed outfit features some of the most talented musicians in metal. Their collective experience is colossal and their musical pedigrees speak louder than any verbal or written praise.

Christy comments: "To be a part of the Metal Blade family is such an honor. I've been a fan of the label since I was an eleven year old kid ordering 'Metal Massacre' cassettes through the mail. It's so amazing to be label mates with some of my all time favorite metal bands like AMON AMARTH, KING DIAMOND, MERCYFUL FATE, CANNIBAL CORPSE, and LIZZY BORDEN, just to name a few! Brian Slagel is a true metal legend and I'm honored to be a part of his label. I'm beyond excited to get back into the studio and make some crushing heavy metal with my friends!"

Metal Blade Records founder Brian Slagel adds: "We are very happy to welcome Richard Christy and his band CHARRED WALLS OF THE DAMNED to the Metal Blade family. In addition to his duties on 'The Howard Stern Show', Richard has had a great career in metal. He has put together a really great new band with some of metal's most talented artists and we can't wait to have everyone hear it."

In the spring of 2009, Richard Christy, former drummer for DEATH and ICED EARTH, finished writing the music for a new project. The music for album began to take shape roughly two years ago, after several years of Richard being on a musical hiatus. And though Richard is mostly known for his drumming prowess, he has also actively played guitar since 1992. The project would come to be named CHARRED WALLS OF THE DAMNED.

Upon completing the music for the album in 2009, Richard began to put together his dream band of musicians whom he considers to be some of the best in the world. Included in this musical collective is famed producer, Jason Suecof. Suecof has produced and/or mixed some of the most prominent albums from metal's leading bands, including TRIVIUM, ALL THAT REMAINS, BURY YOUR DEAD, AUGUST BURNS RED, THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, DAATH, CHIMAIRA, DEVILDRIVER, GOD FORBID and many, many more. Richard and Jason have been friends for over ten years and wrote music together for years while Richard resided in Florida. On vocals for CHARRED WALLS OF THE DAMNED will be none other than legendary metal vocalist, Tim "Ripper" Owens. Richard and Tim played together in ICED EARTH from 2003 to 2004. Tim "Ripper" Owens' first and most well-known gig was with metal band Winters Bane. He currently performs with BEYOND FEAR and YNGWIE MALMSTEEN'S RISING FORCE. On bass guitar for CHARRED WALLS OF THE DAMNED will be one of metal's most heralded bassists, Steve Digiorgio. Richard and Steve played together in the bands CONTROL DENIED and ICED EARTH. DiGiorgio has also performed with DEATH, AUTOPSY, CONTROL DENIED, TESTAMENT, VINTERSORG, ICED EARTH, and is a founding member of technical thrash pioneers SADUS. He is widely renowned for his technical skills, and is one of the very few bass players in the metal scene who plays fretless bass.

Look for a full-length album by CHARRED WALLS OF THE DAMNED this fall, produced by Jason Suecof himself at his Sanford, Florida-based based studio, Audiohammer Studios.

CHARRED WALLS OF THE DAMNED is:

Richard Christy - Drums
Jason Suecof - Guitar, Producer
Tim "Ripper" Owens - Vocals
Steve Digiorgio - Bass

Today, December 1, marked the release of the first single from Charred Walls of the Damned entitled Ghost Town. And let me tell you it makes me drool and crave for more. RIGHT NOW. I can't stop listening to it. It's available on iTunes and on the torrents. There's a clip of it up on CWOTD's MySpace page

http://www.myspace.com/charredwallsofthedamned :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::kickass:

PS: For you Ripper fans, Yngwie has a clip of his cover of Michael Jackson's "Beat It" up on his Myspace with Tim on vox.

Haha, I followed the link to their myspace-page before knowing Ripper is singing... Christy kicks the song off amazing as usual, when the vocals entered I thought: I know that guy... a few seconds later: Must be Ripper, though I never heard him as good as that!

I did not like his voice in Judas Priest nor in Iced Earth. He did a good job but I could not feel his emotions. That might be really different with that band, we'll see when the whole album is released.

Thanks for the hint, Burnt! :kickass:

Haha, I followed the link to their myspace-page before knowing Ripper is singing... Christy kicks the song off amazing as usual, when the vocals entered I thought: I know that guy... a few seconds later: Must be Ripper, though I never heard him as good as that!

I did not like his voice in Judas Priest nor in Iced Earth. He did a good job but I could not feel his emotions. That might be really different with that band, we'll see when the whole album is released.

Thanks for the hint, Burnt! :kickass:

Its funny that you mention his lack of emotion....

from another forum I'm on

BurntOfferings666 said:
Don't get me wrong Wicked One, I'm not a Tim "fanboy" by any stretch. I go back and forth on liking and not liking him, but on Ghost Town, I think he absolutely delivers. He shows the range of his vocal abilities from low notes to high, fast singing, slow singing and he's bringing through emotion in his singing (for once) and bringing emotion out of the listener.

I became a Ripper fan when he was in Winters Bane for his high pitched screams. But after he started recording with Priest, it became clear he was a "one trick pony" kind of guy. Unfortunately (at least for me), Tim lacks in areas where other metal falsetto vocalists typically excel -> mainly emoting while singing. To me he sounds EXACTLY the same on every song he sings. Very robotic like. You get a bit of emotion on the outro to High Water Mark where he's singing about the blood being on General Lee's hands, but thats about it. Oh, and Diamonds and Rust from the Live In London recordings he emotes pretty good on. But that's it. There's no Matt Barlow singing A Question of Heaven type emotion that he's even come remotely close to touching :p

Take out of this what you will, but for me any song that Tim emotes on, is something special in my books :kickass:

Take out of this what you will, but for me any song that Tim emotes on, is something special in my books

Oh yes, I agree with that... Technically he might be a good singer, but when it comes to emotion, well, like that guy said, he sounds the same on every song. But on Ghost Town I really like his voice! :)