Cheapest way to reamp????

xmortumx

Jun 17, 2008
So im working with this band and so far we finished about 4 songs out of 8 in guitar, and we been recording DI using an amp sim, but till now the guitarist got a triple rectifier so my question what would be the cheapest way to reamp those tracks? I just have a CountryType 85 and profire no reampbox, but i remember reading from guitarguru that he reamps without a reambox would i be able to do same with profire2626(is it safe)?

I was thinking of finishing recording all DI first, then reamp but im just debating whether i should get an appropriate reamp box like a Radial ProRMP just for this project? or maybe an alternative cheaper solution.....

i did check out that man... i guess i need to refine my question if i can reamp with profire2626 alone..... i dont know if i can damage amp or something.

It sounds like crap doing it any other way than with a proper reamp box. Don't waste your time trying any of the ghetto methods.

Best way to find out is to give a test run man. You aren't going to hurt anything in the process and you should know if it'll sound decent just from listening to the reamped DI's through the cab. If it sounds good, mic it up and go for it. Test the signal's clarity with a clean channel on the amp first if you like. If it sounds fine, it sounds fine.

Flame me if you want to, but there are a few "big name" producers who have been reamping for years without reamp boxes. I think it has more to do with your specific gear really. Just saying.

The way I always look at it is this- When reamping, the goal is to get the signal going into the amp to be identical to what the guitar put out.

A reamp device is what makes this happen.

Yes, you can use a DI backwards, or mess around with an interface output to get the levels close, etc. But the signal won't be an identical guitar signal.

Now it's not necessarily a bad thing to do it the other ways, you might like it better, it may suit the amp better, who knows. Try out all the different methods and find out. Before I bought my Redeye I tried doing the backwards DI, and it was noisy as hell. Going straight from an interface output was not only noisy, but sounded very thin.

Yeah i know how to solder... and your post was cool, I cant find any Palmer Daccapo around the states lol
But if i go with the ProRPM will be around (85$) and I might do that mod, just debating if i should spend that money for this project.... but can you compensate for the level reduction by outputting a little more?

If level reduction is something like 11 db, it is no "little more", it is to much, voltage divider itself reduce level by 8 db. After modification device becomes almost 1 to 1 (no voltage drop). Maybe next step I will try ferrite beads on replacement wires to filter some additional noise from interface.

Maybe next step I will try ferrite beads on replacement wires to filter some additional noise from interface.

Hmm I should try this as well. The noise I get while reamping is 'bearable', but it would be nice to get it lower.

...the goal is to get the signal going into the amp to be identical to what the guitar put out.

A reamp device is what makes this happen.

A reamp box provides rejection of noise picked up by the cable, and breaks ground loops. Also removes any DC offset from your line out.

With short cabling, good grounds, and an AC-coupled line out these advantages may not be required.

A reamp box also limits bandwidth and adds low-frequency distortion (primarily 3rd harmonic) in the transformer core.

These effects may be inaudible or close-to, but it's difficult to imagine how a signal passed from a DA interface to an amp through a transformer will be more identical to the recorded tone than if the transformer weren't there.

I've reamped from the output of a Delta 66 to a boost pedal using about 5-foot cable, the tone was pretty much the same as plugging the guitar straight into the boost. No noise, no hum.

Straight into the amp should be no different, although I've never dispensed with the pedal. So I can't say from experience.

A 1:1 transformer gave no improvement in noise, and any tonal difference was so subtle I may have been imagining it.

Had there been hum with the unbalanced connection, I would have expected the transformer to get rid of it, but there wasn't.

Bottom line is;

1) long cable runs generally need to be balanced (use a reamp box), short cable runs may be fine unbalanced. Same as any cable carrying low-level signals.

2) If there is mains-frequency hum, break the loop (use a reamp box).

There's too much variation in setups to say whether you need a reamp box. But there's no harm in trying without, and if there's no problem, fine.

I`m tried ghetto-reamping and also has noise similar to reamper. But with reamper I can achieve same level as direct, with just unbalanced cable level is twice lower (but maybe I should try different cable wiring).

Hmm I should try this as well. The noise I get while reamping is 'bearable', but it would be nice to get it lower.

Yes, I also use ProRMP with my mic pre for direct monitoring purposes and in such case noise is sufficiently lower (output level is the same as from interface).

I had a funny experience today, my reamp box died on me mid reamping. I had no choice but to start again without the box and it actually sounded better (probably a lot to do with my reamp box failing). It was a NFaudio RA10, I have a feeling it had absolutely nothing to do with the box though and more to do with the possibility that something got spilled on it, my bad rehearses in my studio and I have a feeling something may have happened without me knowing about it.

Try reamping without the box, see how it sounds. If it sounds like crap, buy a box. If it doesn't, go for it!

It sounds like crap doing it any other way than with a proper reamp box. Don't waste your time trying any of the ghetto methods.

I beg to disagree. I've done it with an X-Amp and straight from the 2626 into a TS and an amp.

The Prussian song on my website's player was done exactly this way. The last album I worked on, too, but unfortunately I can't post any clips before it's released.

It's not about what's right or wrong, it's about what sounds good and works for you. To the OP: Try it, you won't break anything.

I`m mostly agree with Wolfeman, I also have some feeling that ghetto-reamping sound slightly thinner, but difference, to be honest, is subtle.