Check out our live IEM rig setup (video)

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
So I'm kind of a gear dork, more so then just guitar stuff so I made this video describing our in-ear setup.

I've seen a few threads regarding this over the years so hopefully someone thinks this is interesting!

Last edited by a moderator:
DAT SNARE!
Thanks for the video, Jon. Mackie has a similar thing http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...-digital-live-sound-mixer-with-ipad-controler. We've just tried it out a couple days ago.
I have a question about DMX and lighting: being a total dummy in this topic, I'd like to know how do you program your lights without knowing what rig will the venue have? Do you have your own rig? Is there some sort of standard regarding light rigs that all venues follow?

DAT SNARE!
Thanks for the video, Jon. Mackie has a similar thing http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...-digital-live-sound-mixer-with-ipad-controler. We've just tried it out a couple days ago.
I have a question about DMX and lighting: being a total dummy in this topic, I'd like to know how do you program your lights without knowing what rig will the venue have? Do you have your own rig? Is there some sort of standard regarding light rigs that all venues follow?

Yeah I kind of went off topic from the IEM stuff :lol:

We bring our own LED pars and what not. It'd be cool to program to a venues lights but I imagine it'd be a huge hassle to get the info needed.

I use the magnum .44 on tour with my line 6 hd500. I love that little pedal, so much more impressive than I expected :p

Whoa, that tiny thing is an amp??

Impressive rig. How long does it take to set up? (including the drum cables and everything)

Awesome rig with some great inspiration in there. Didn't know they made a rack version of the X-32. Seems like a good solution for what you are doing.

How do you split the signal for IEM/FOH? The Behringer only has 8 outs. Unless you send pre-mixed stuff to FOH that's not going to cut it for all the signals, isn't it?

Whoa, that tiny thing is an amp??

Impressive rig. How long does it take to set up? (including the drum cables and everything)

Well I'm currently making Dsub cables that hook the two racks together and then a breakout box for the mics. But it takes about 15 mins to setup, 5 mins to break down and off the stage.

Awesome rig with some great inspiration in there. Didn't know they made a rack version of the X-32. Seems like a good solution for what you are doing.

How do you split the signal for IEM/FOH? The Behringer only has 8 outs. Unless you send pre-mixed stuff to FOH that's not going to cut it for all the signals, isn't it?

Well the s16 add another 16 in and 8 out but I'll be building a small patch bay that will split everything accordingly. Thanks for checking it out!

Patch bay surely is the way to go but I still don't get how you do it right now.

All signals from the stage (I assume there are 10+) need to go to your rack and FOH. Since the X-32 only has 8 outputs you can only send 8 signals (that went through the IEM rack) to FOH, right? So you are

a) either not sending everything you get in your rack (via the 16 ins) to FOH (via the 8 available outs) or
b) not getting every stage signal in your monitor rack (and sending it directly from the stage to FOH via the house cabling).

Got it?

Patch bay surely is the way to go but I still don't get how you do it right now.

All signals from the stage (I assume there are 10+) need to go to your rack and FOH. Since the X-32 only has 8 outputs you can only send 8 signals (that went through the IEM rack) to FOH, right? So you are

a) either not sending everything you get in your rack (via the 16 ins) to FOH (via the 8 available outs) or
b) not getting every stage signal in your monitor rack (and sending it directly from the stage to FOH via the house cabling).

Got it?

I also have a behringer s16 which gives me another 8 outputs for a total of 16.