Chicago Powerfest

EricT

Don't you ever get...
Aug 25, 2005
Lost In Necropolis
With Solitude Aeturnus and Thurisaz being announced along with Novembers Doom, that has sealed the deal for me, who else is going?

SOLITUDE AETURNUS
MARTYR
NOVEMBERS DOOM
BENEDICTUM
SHATTER MESSIAH
THURISAZ

Headliner would have to be very badass for me to consider this one. Im not even acquainted with Shatter Messiah, Thurisaz or Benedictum.

Headliner would have to be very badass for me to consider this one. Im not even acquainted with Shatter Messiah, Thurisaz or Benedictum.
Shatter Messiah features Curran Murphy (Annihilator, x-Nevermore touring guitar player) and Greg Wagner (x-Archetype). The band sounds like a more Thrash version of Nevermore. They only have one CD out, which is quite solid.

Shatter Messiah MySpace Page

I had never heard of Thurisaz. Apparently they toured Europe with Agalloch and Novembers Doom, and won a lot of fans. They've released a few self-financed discs. They have a new CD coming out on Shiver Recovrds. The song from this new CD, featured on their MySpace page, should appeal to a lot of folks in this forum (JK, hello, JK...).

hoes_circadian_rhytm.jpg

Thurisaz MySpace Page

Benedictum is a female fronted band. However, unlike most female fronted bands, the lead singer doesn't do Goth or Operatic vocals. Instead, she sounds like Dio. They play Power/Traditional Metal.

Benedictum's MySpace Page

The lead singer isn't hard on the eyes either:

83773581_l.gif

129455374_l.jpg

210012504_l.jpg

Zod

Listened to the samples of Benedictum.

My only comments are that the chick from Benedictum sounds like a man sometimes, heh. Pretty cool though.

Martyr also seems like a pretty solid Tech Death outfit. Not sure how well it will go over live with me, but I am looking forward to this fest regardless.

Martyr also seems like a pretty solid Tech Death outfit. Not sure how well it will go over live with me, but I am looking forward to this fest regardless.

Dude! Their live show is what sealed the deal for me. My band Twelfth Gate played with them at the March Metal Meltdown back in 2003 & Martyr was fucking amazing...3 PART DEATH VOCAL HARMONIES!!! Yes, HARMONIES...not just all singing the same shit!!! I was blown away...not to mention the music is technical as hell!!

Not sure if all three guys up front will do the harmonies this time because I believe one of them was replaced...but I'm sure there'll be at least two...I hope the new guy can do harmonies too because it's definitely something to be seen & heard!!! :headbang:

woah wait... Martyr played the March Metal Meltdown?! Damn, I have to look over that list of bands again and see what else I was too dumb to realize.

That fest was so horribly organized (of course...it was a Koshick event), that I'm sure it was very easy for you to miss them. Can't remember but I'm sure they played at the same time as a better known band on the main stage...there were only like 20 people watching them when they played.

And it sucked for us too...we played at the same time Amon Amarth did on the main stage, so you can imagine the number of people we had...not much different than Martyr.

At least we got to visit Ground Zero in NYC, which made the trip worth it...cuz the fest sucked ass for us!!! ;)

Martyr was fucking amazing...3 PART DEATH VOCAL HARMONIES!!! Yes, HARMONIES...

Get out of here. :tickled: How do you harmonize a death growl? You've got a better chance of harmonizing a fart.

What you probably mean is that one vocalist growls, another screams, and the third dude grunts. Or something like that?

Get out of here. :tickled: How do you harmonize a death growl? You've got a better chance of harmonizing a fart.

What you probably mean is that one vocalist growls, another screams, and the third dude grunts. Or something like that?

OK...if you say so. Plus, what you describe would just sound like noise. If memory serves, what they did were in fact harmonies. And it is possible to growl or scream in different pitches....maybe not vocals like Cannibal Corpse, but not all death vocals are gutteral.

I guess you must be one of those people who think it takes no talent to sing death type vocals.

OK...if you say so. Plus, what you describe would just sound like noise. If memory serves, what they did were in fact harmonies. And it is possible to growl or scream in different pitches....maybe not vocals like Cannibal Corpse, but not all death vocals are gutteral.

I guess you must be one of those people who think it takes no talent to sing death type vocals.

I wasn't trying to be trollish -- I was just pointing out that it's inherently impossible to harmonize a "growl" isn't it? There are different pitches for sure, but don't you need to be singing a note for it to be harmonized in key?

I agree though, if people are throwing out death growls at different pitches then this can be very effective in a live setting. Napalm Death do it very well.