CHILDREN OF BODOM's JANNE WIRMAN: 'There's No Money At All In SPOTIFY. It's S**t'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Levi Seth of Sticks For Stones recently conducted an interview with keyboardist Janne Wirman of Finnish metallers CHILDREN OF BODOM. An excerpt from the chat follows below.Sticks For Stones: Do you see revenue from streaming services such as Spotify? Janne: No, no, no. There's no money at all in Spotify. No. It's shit. Sticks For Stones: Do you like your songs being on Spotify? Janne: If it was up for me, personally, I would not put it up on Spotify. Personally, I don't even use Spotify, I don't have an account. I just dislike it just due to the fact that I know that the artists are not getting nothing out of it.Sticks For Stones: Do you still collect physical records and CDs? Janne: Yeah, actually, that's a bit of a problem for me too. 'Cause, you know, I don't use Spotify, I don't use streaming services. At some point, I used to buy a lot of stuff off iTunes, but now I kind of dislike the new iTunes too. So, it's, like, I don't have a lot of ways to get music anymore nowadays. And then what I really, really wanna get, I need to get it as a CD. But then your house is full of CDs and, you know, it's just... whatever. And record stores do not exist anymore, so then if you really want a CD of something, you need to order it or something. I don't know… It's just... It's sad. The whole state of music business is kind of weird right now. Sticks For Stones: It's sad to see artists getting the raw end of the deal… Janne: Yeah, definitely, 'cause, you know, a huge part of our income is now totally gone. Album sales just don't exist anymore. It's a really, really fucked up situation, I think. Sticks For Stones: It's sad kids these days are missing out on collecting albums and reading the lyrics and the album art… Janne: That's how I am too — old school — but then, at the same time, I do understand how the kids nowadays don't wanna collect all those CDs. But, I don't know... I was just amazed that the format… Like, there's nothing... I don't know... It's difficult to even imagine. But, like, the CD... nobody was even interested in re-inventing the CD, like coming out with a format that would still be appealing as a collectible… But I don't know... I guess the MP3 is just so much easier for the kids nowadays.Read the entire interview at Sticks For Stones.

childrenofbodomiworshipchaoscd.jpg

More...