CHIMAIRA Coming Alive DVD Documentary

Djabthrash

Aug 26, 2007
Paris / Montpellier, FRANCE
CHIMAIRA Coming Alive DVD Documentary :

Anybody watched this documentary ?

I love Chimaira but they're not even one of my favourite band or anything like that, but in the past i grew to love their studio reports/documentaries (the one on the previous DVD was amazing already), where they share a lot of in-depth (personal, business, artistic, production-oriented, fuckin' around-oriented...) stuff that is very interesting (and entertaining sometimes also :) ) to watch when you're a metal/music nerd like me.

Even somebody who doesn't care about the band, or even metal, or even music would enjoy watching this (i think), it's that good.

Si i watched the 3-hour-long documentary on the Coming Alive DVD, and it's just mindblowing. A lot of jokes, in-depth studio and tour stuff, amazing filming, etc...

This is a must-see IMO, even if you're not into the band. And it displays band members who are artists and human beings as well, which is cool. They seem like super regular guys to be with, super funny yet serious about their shit as well. I relate to that totally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw one of their earlier documentaries (the one where they got kevin talley into the band, etc) and it was really good. I really don't like their last records but The Impossibility Of Reason and their s/t are both still relevant and great sounding.

Always bought their albums, more because of the included DVD than CD itself. Eventually I think Resurrection is an amazing album, probably also because of the mix.
This coming alive is indeed a great DVD, and from what I've seen it's on sale on a few places, so grab it if you want.

I've got the Dehumanizing Process dvd... full of good crack and studio footage... one of the many i've taken hints and tips from... like draping a stage curtain around the vocalist if you don't have a booth for recording.

Think i'll hunt these out on youtube...

I've got the Dehumanizing Process dvd... full of good crack and studio footage... one of the many i've taken hints and tips from... like draping a stage curtain around the vocalist if you don't have a booth for recording.

Think i'll hunt these out on youtube...

i tried hunting them down on youtube and you can only find a couple of parts (maybe 1% of the whole thing :) ), and my conclusion after buying this thing and watching it is that it's worth every penny (well... euros) i put into it.
3-hour-documentary DVD + Full Live-Set DVD (bonus : Resurrection making of) + live cd.

Maybe borrow it from somebody ?

EDIT : can one rent that kind of music dvds at Blockbuster Videos (i mean a typical dvd rental place) or Netflix or something ?

I saw one of their earlier documentaries (the one where they got kevin talley into the band, etc) and it was really good. I really don't like their last records but The Impossibility Of Reason and their s/t are both still relevant and great sounding.

The latest records (post-self-titled i mean) are growers and more experimental. Took me a while to enjoy them, especially The Infection, which i thought sucked when it was released, and after seeing them perform some songs live and seeing the making-of parts in that specific dvd, it's growing on me (i still prefer the previous albums tho').

It's funny, I don't know whether it's because it signifies a certain time and place for me when it was released, or whether it just struck a chord with me musically, but Impossibility of Reason will always be my favourite album. For me, it's the best album to come out in the last 10 years, from any band. I just absolutely connect with it like no other, and it has been a huge influence on my musical direction ever since.

I have enjoyed everything else they have released too, just never in the same way. That album is special to me and I have no idea why :lol:

It's funny, I don't know whether it's because it signifies a certain time and place for me when it was released, or whether it just struck a chord with me musically, but Impossibility of Reason will always be my favourite album. For me, it's the best album to come out in the last 10 years, from any band. I just absolutely connect with it like no other, and it has been a huge influence on my musical direction ever since.

I have enjoyed everything else they have released too, just never in the same way. That album is special to me and I have no idea why :lol:

I guess despite the obvious influences (fear factory, machine head, pantera, metallica, vision of disorder (Mark's screaming), alice in chains (clean vocals)), they released a super catchy and well produced record that surprised everyone, especially after the "pass out fo existence" which was a very different beast (good album but not amazing, and way more nu-metallish/cookie cutter).

It seems everybody got into Chimaira at that time :)

Aye I might have to, I love these behind the scenes DVDs... I've also got the Berzerker one, which is amazing to watch...

I was looking for it so I have something to watch on my lunch at work... now i'm reduced to surfing Blabbermouth.net

Yeah, Impossibility is without a question one of their best albums, but I think Resurrection might be their best. The rest are cool but lack something.