Chimaira - Resurrection

TheWyvern

Oct 22, 2006
Chimaira - Resurrection
Nuclear Blast Records – No Barcode given – 6th March 2007
By Dan Fisher

Chimaira_Res.jpg

"It felt like it did when we first started. After getting everyone in a circle, telling each other to fuck off, and getting all the demons out, we're all the best of friends again."

Hmmm, not the way most people would think about beginning to write an ultra aggressive crossover album featuring elements of metal, hardcore and industrial. But then, Chimaira have never been a normal band. Having always taken a route to fame slightly left of main field, the romper stompers are back with an album that I found very hard to ignore.

Resurrection is the sound of a band who have put the petty squabbles of the past behind and decided to grow the fuck up. And adulthood never sounded so good. It’s actually hard to pick a standout track such is the standard of writing but I would say that the opener ’Resurrection’, ’Six’ and ’Empire’ are my favourites. Chimaira seem to have found a formula that works for them and run with it rather than shying away from exploring all possible permutations of their sound. Of course, the (only) downside to this is that the album lacks the subtlety to take it beyond brilliance and into classic status. All great bands (and artists in general for that matter) offer a relief of sorts to give the artwork perspective. In metal, something more contemplative works well as contrast (think how well Pantera’s ‘This Love’ works after ‘Fucking Hostile’ on Vulgar Display of Power). This is the final piece of the jigsaw for Chimaira I think. I am very encouraged by what I’ve heard here though and I would urge metal fans of all genres to succumb to this dark masterpiece.

Official Chimaira Website
Official Nuclear Blast Website

Overall another impressive album from Chimaira. Lyrics are shit as usual but the band have stepped up on vocals & use of samples (& trust me that doesn't mean whiney clean singing & wanky keyboard solos). It's their darkest, most realised composition yet.

yeah i agree! ive known chimaira for a while been on tour with them etc, they tend to copy everything thats happenin these days with music! and trying to maki it their own.. not happenin boys

im promotin a new band from uk hades chariot:

www.myspace.com/hadeschariot

these guys have origionality when it comes to metal.. most people say they are a slow version of nile! brutal singing technical riffs with power drumming

a must for the new age metal lover

As with the previous Chimaira album (Chimaira), this one has, imo, awesome cover art. I love the incorporation of animals and insect forms into the designs. The originality and beauty of this sort of artwork only serves to enhance my appreciation of the music, (that is if the music is good too:) ) I thought Chaimira was very good in places, but a little too coarse throughout (lacking, as you corrctly stated, subtlety). I'm going to check this out and I expect to be impressed.

hehe LMAO your comment about 'coarse in places' Tom Strutton. It sounds like your describing grades of Paté. Metal Paté! :zombie: