Chris!About:Picking Problem

Ny_9119

New Metal Member
Jun 13, 2008
Hi Cris.There is sometihng confuzing me.I want to change my technique sometimes.I can do alternate picking,sweep picking,artificial harmonics with the last technique i learnt but my fingers doesn't look much good to someone wathing them.I want to show you my hands...Do you thing that i should change my technique?I put my pinky on the body (under the pickups),forefinger and ring finger in the shape of "C".What do you think about?If you don't understand what i wrote you can just see the picture of it...

If my technique isn't true I want to learn new techniques.My fingers are long,its hard :S

If my technique isn't true I want to learn new techniques.My fingers are long,its hard :S

Your fingers look really tense. Or at least it would be for me if my picking hand was in a position like that. I think you should try letting your hand relax a bit more, including your thumb and index. I personally try to let my hand relax as much as possible.

No my fingers are relax.My fingers doesn't look much good to someone wathing so i must change my technique.

No my fingers are relax.My fingers doesn't look much good to someone wathing so i must change my technique.

now THAT doesn't make any sense, does it? as long as you feel comfortable with the technique, it's right! who cares what it looks like???
everyones hands are built differently, so only try to use propper technique, at least!!! maybe you should change your hand position, maybe not...but as I see this, only a good guitar teacher, would be able to tell that! maybe you look out for someone!
anyway, good luck, dude!

You now most guitarists try and find the easiest way to play a piece of music to avoid needless picking hand position movements.
you should try and make it looked as relaxed as possible,effortless is a better way to describe it,but its up to you
however you want to challenege yourself,

as Irenicus said, you want to play simply and effectively to how YOU play

michael angelo has solid picking technique but its very unorthodox and not used by many.
marty friedman has solid picking technique and its even more unorthodox haha

john petrucci has normal picking hand and its just as good as the shredders

find your own technique thats effective without cutting corners and improve on that, no technique is better than yours