circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Chris Caffery – Music Man EP
Black Lotus Records – 2004
By Jason Jordan

musicman.jpg

What we have here is the Music Man digipak EP, which is a track that can be found on Chris Caffery’s Faces. I have to admit that I’ve purchased a few needless EP’s in my days, but now I don’t see a valid reason to do so. Sure, some exclusive tracks will inhabit said albums – but they’re predominantly not worth the space that will clog your CD rack.

As expected, “Music Man” is the first track and can also be found on Faces. “What Child is This?” is actually a well-done number that is surprisingly heavy. I love the revolving lead that enters the scene at the 1:00 minute mark, and sticks for a while longer. “Christmas Is” reminds me of a sentimental Sebastian Bach, for some odd reason. It’s not as if Caffery sounds vastly similar to Bach or anything. The major problem with the aforementioned seasonally-tuned songs is: I’ll only want to listen to them a few weeks before Christmas, and then I’ll shelve them for approximately a year afterwards. “Forever We’ll Be” is another ballad. Ironically, “Pisses Me Off (Radio Edit)” graces the EP next, and is extraneous because – come on – who really desires to listen to the radio edit? Plus, the editing technique is very distracting and completely destroys the song’s continuity/momentum. “Abandoned” is next and can be found on the full-length I mentioned earlier. Caffery’s terrible rendition of “Amazing Grace” can also be found elsewhere, but it’s utterly worthless. Finally, the uncensored version of “Pisses Me Off” ends the commotion; it’s a good song.

Faces isn’t a record gone awry, so pick that up if you’re fanatical about Chris Caffery. If you make a conscience decision to buy Music Man, though, you’re a bolder man than I.

6/10

Official Chris Caffery website
Official Black Lotus Records website