CHRIS CORNELL's Widow Talks About His Battle With Addiction (Video)

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Vicky Cornell, the widow of SOUNDGARDEN singer Chris Cornell, spoke about her husband's tragic death in an interview on ABC's "Good Morning America". Chris was found hanged in his room at the MGM Grand Detroit hotel in May 2017, following a SOUNDGARDEN show at the city's Fox Theatre. His body was found soon after he had spoken with a "slurred" voice to Vicky by phone. The death was ruled a suicide. But his family has questioned the medical examiner's ruling, saying that he had a prescription for Ativan and that a higher than recommended dosage may have caused him to experience suicidal thoughts. Vicky believes that her husband was not depressed and was not a suicide, but was instead brought on by the effect of the Ativan. "I don't think that he could make any decisions because of the level of impairment," she said in the interview, which premieres on Wednesday, February 21. "My husband was the furthest thing from a rock-star junkie," she added. "He just wasn't [like that]. He was the best husband, the greatest father. I lost my soulmate and the love of my life. He wanted to be there for his family, for his children. He loved his life. He would never have ever left this world." Vicky said that she missed warnings of her husband's depression and mental state. "I know that people say, you know, 'You can't blame yourself,' and, you know, I'm trying not to," she said in a sneak peek of the interview obtained by "Entertainment Tonight". "But there were signs." She also responded to journalist Robin Roberts's comment that many people do not recognize addiction as a disease. "People think that addiction is, like, 'Oh, you were an addict,' and people don't recognize it as a disease," she said. "I feel guilty of the same thing. You think addiction is a choice, and it's not." To see the full interview, tune in to "Good Morning America" on Wednesday, February 21 on ABC. Vicky and Chris have two children together, 13-year-old daughter Toni and 12-year-old son Christopher. Chris also has a 17-year-old daughter, Lillian, from a previous marriage.

Continue reading...