Christian Death - Born Again Anti-Christian

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Christian Death - Born Again Anti-Christian
By Philip Whitehouse

This is the umpteenth release from one of the most prominent 'goth-rock' bands doing the rounds at the moment (umpteenth in that they probably lost count as many years back as the rest of us did), and to be honest - it's something of a disappointment.

Sure, all the familiar ingredients are there - lyrics which are largely a seethingly critical analysis of organised religion, demonically slow and disturbing guitar riffs driven by punishing drums, a general psychotic ambience that lends an unnerving air to proceedings - but there's still something not quite right.

There's only two members of this band for studio recordings, and between them they play everything you hear. Perhaps it's a case of being a jack of all trades and a master of none. The female's bass-work is faultless, but her vocals, while enthusiastic, sound just a little too warbly for my liking. Likewise, Valor's guitar is beyond reproach, but his god-awful gargling puts a downer on proceedings when he decided to lend his voice to events.

That's not to say there aren't good things about this release - second track 'Zodiac' has a marvellously creepy guitar riff, and the guest vocals from Dani Filth at the start and end of the track add something to the song. Also, the track intitled 'Kill Me' is the single most disturbing thing I've ever heard from a band. You have to hear it to see what I mean.

Doubtless Christian Death's die-hard fans will lap this up, but as for me, I'm left a little non-plussed by the whole thing.