Chuck Schuldiner: Control Denied New CD

lars316

Jan 22, 2004
I don't know how many fans of Control Denied or Death are out there but for those who are interested and don't know, here goes. Karmaggedon media released unfinished music of Control Denied today entitled Zero Tolerance. The CD has four demo tracks plus 6 demos from Death circa 1985-1986. The Control tracks were to be part of the long awaited follow up to the Fragile Art of Existence, and is to be Chuck Schuldiner's last work before he passed away (R.I.P.). However the music is only about 75% complete and was released without Chuck's family's permission. There was a legal battle involved in the rights to the music where the family wanted to get a hold of the work which was done and let the members of Control Denied finish the demo songs. However Karmageddon did not want that. Their website makes harsh comments about the Schuldiner family not wanting to release the music which is a straight out lie. The family just wants to protect Chuck's vision of music. Anyway there is a long story to the ordeal

I think this is a travesty that Karmaggedon was this greedy and would not give the music to the Schuldiner family in order to complete it and therefore release the music as it should have been released: 100% Completed. Talk about not respecting the deceased, Karmaggedon did not even honor one of Chuck's last requests to finish his final work and release it in a complete form.

I for one will never buy this CD unless it is redone and completed by the remaining members and the money goes to the family where it belongs. The family has taken action and therefore Jane Schuldiner (Chuck's mom) has stated that she personnaly will attain a copy of the music and put it up for free download on: http://www.emptywords.demon.nl/ I think this is a great move by Mrs. Schuldiner because the fans do not have to spend their money on what I call a piece of trash and Karmageddon calls a tribute CD.

I was really looking forward to this release as I am a huge fan of Chuck Schuldiner, Richard Christy, Death and Control Denied. Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up and if you agree with me on this, Karmaggedon will lose out on this deal big time. Personally I think they can all rot in hell for this. Sorry if I appear strong about this but the least anyone can do for a deceased person is to honor their wishes, but I guess business is business and money is much more important than respect and honor these days.

If anyone has any thoughts on this matter I would be glad to hear them.
R.I.P. Chuck 1967-2001

I agree; I'm dying to hear the material but i want this release to sink as well. I really hope that Jane can get this straightened out and that the band can someday finish it up. I suppose I'll be downloading it from emptywords. The first Control Denied album is an absolute masterpiece, by the way. any fans of power or prog who haven't heard it can most likely find something to like about it.

Ryan

I totally agree and I will download the music from "emptywords"
I also do hope that Chuck's vision of his last CD can come true eventually, which is what I will buy then!

I agree, it's a shame that the music had to be surrounded by legal wrangling in the first place and releasing unfinished work against the wishes of his family, and making allegedly wrongful accusations to support their position, is a selfish and exploitative act.

I think a few well written, properly composed, and eloquently stated HATE MAIL letters should be sent to them, telling em exactly this. Let's give Karmageddon a little feedback, and let em know that they aren't winning any fans by pulling a stunt like this.

And in half a year, they'll learn, and they'll beg our forgiveness, and give in.

The question remains...

What happened to the advance money (I've heard $50,000) given to Schuldiner by Hammerheart/Karmageddon?

Story I get is that it has NOT been paid back, which means Karmageddon is acting VERY appropriately in not releasing rights back to the family and attempting to make something back on their investment by releasing this.

If it HAS been paid back then I agree Karmageddon is acting distastefully.

NOTHING I've seen from the Schuldiner family about this has been anything more than "none of your business, how dare you ask about this stuff instead of just loving Chuck's music?" which makes me think Chuck was also a liar and a fraud because he dealt with tough questions in the exact same evasive manner.

Ms. Schuldiner is my leading candidate for "Person I most want to be sitting next to Timo Tolkki on that bus that goes over a cliff."

Jim,

That was quite a biased post if I have ever read one. Certainly your opinions seemed to be very inflamed to Ms. Schuldiner about the info that you have heard about. The bottom line is, there are two sides to every story, especially in cases where business is done, so I really don't think that you can be so biased and hatefull. I think that both parties AND the fans would have benefitted from a fully completed product, and it is too bad that the two sides couldn't come to an agreement.
Oh, and I'll be the first one to say this, that was pretty weak to call someone who is DECEASED a "liar and a fraud", and that you hope that his mother drives off a cliff. Yeah, man, that's pretty friggin' cool of you. Could it be that you are someone that works for Karmageddon, maybe?

Walter_Langkowski said:
That was quite a biased post if I have ever read one. Certainly your opinions seemed to be very inflamed to Ms. Schuldiner about the info that you have heard about. The bottom line is, there are two sides to every story

One side gives their story. The other side claims the first side is just telling lies but gives no information of their own. What are people supposed to think?

The answer: People AREN'T thinking.

Walter_Langkowski said:
Oh, and I'll be the first one to say this, that was pretty weak to call someone who is DECEASED a "liar and a fraud"

What does the guy being deceased have to do with my opinion?

And I'm rolling over here at the idea of working for a record label.

I've been following this saga ever since it started. If you exam just the facts, Jim's claims are 100% correct. Hammerheart gave Chuck a hefty advance. Hammerheart never received a product. From a legal standpoint, Hammerheart have every right to release anything available to get that advance back.

All personal opinions aside, Mrs. Schuldiner has not given a single valid legal reason to hold up any release. She has been very vague in all of her responses and simply continues to push Chuck's "legacy" and how it shouldn't be corrupted since it isn't his version.

As much as I'm pro-artist and anti-label, I have to take Hammerheart's side. I don't condone how both sides have conducted their behavior, but such is life.

From a pure speculative standpoint, I believe the entire advance was spent. The family doesn't have the money to give back. I would bet Hammerheart were asses about the entire thing at some point which only strengthend Mrs. S resolve to not allow the material to be released. She is running on emotions instead of logic.

Glenn H.

Yeah, I have to admit I wasn't in full command of the facts when I made my first post. After reading Jim's post I went back and did a bunch more research on this and my opinion is beginning to change. Glenn, your speculation is exactly what I was thinking too.

That all being said, I'm wondering what all even exists on this release. Last of anything I read, all that were recorded were Richard Christy's drums, Chuck's guitars, and some of Shannon's guitars. Meaning no bass or vocals, and certainly well under the "75% complete" figure given above. Granted, that means we get all that Chuck was going to put into the record, but without bass or vocals it will probably sound fairly thin. Does anyone have any more information on how close to completion this release will be?

Ryan

...so then why is it so impossible to ask, that the recordings be allowed to finish? The guys WANTED to complete the album in the best way they could, knowing how Chuck would most likely want it to sound? Knowing that Death has some pretty faithful, die-hard fans? And no, you can't use the "Death fans don't like Control Denied" argument, cuz I haven't met a Death fan who didn't dig the Control Denied material. IF you are one, pipe up and prove me wrong.

The guys in the band wanted to pay homage to their leader, and finish his work. Shit... just cuz Brandon Lee passed away before The Crow was finished, they didn't stop from completing one helluva movie. So why was Karmageddon so afraid?

Yeah, there's the business aspect.

And then there's the respect due to a fallen hero.

Hell, Christy's helping with another tribute to Chuck. Cuz they won't let him finish the one tribute he wanted to complete!

Bryan316 said:
...so then why is it so impossible to ask, that the recordings be allowed to finish?

It is impossible.

Who's going to pay for it? Karmageddon has already thrown large amounts of money at the project and is getting nothing but grief from it. The original money is obviously all gone, and I have to wonder how they could invest more in when all other parties involved don't seem to want to deal with them.

Is the Schuldiner family going to invest in the completion of a project they have no legal right to release? Something tells me they wouldn't finish it off then hand it over to Karmageddon.

It's a giant cluster.