CHUCK SCHULDINER rememberance thread.

Seeing as though today (to my knowledge) is the anniversary of Chuch Schuldiner's passing away i thought we can all raise the horns and beers up high in respect of one of the most talented muso's the Metal world has ever seen.He will always be missed!:worship:
Feel free to share your best memories and story's that relate to the man and his awesome music put forth in both DEATH and CONTROL DENIED.:headbang:

Wikipedia said:
In May 1999, Schuldiner experienced pain in his upper neck, which he initially thought was a pinched nerve. He consulted with a chiropractor followed by a massage therapist/acupuncturist who recommended an MRI Exam. He was correct about the pinched nerve; unfortunately, it was being caused by a tumor. On his birthday, May 13, 1999, Schuldiner was diagnosed with pontine glioma, a type of brain cancer that invades the brain stem and immediately underwent radiation therapy.

In October 1999, Schuldiner’s family announced that the tumor had necrotized and that he was on the way to recovery. In January 2000, Schuldiner underwent surgery to remove what remained of his tumor. The operation was a success, however, the Schuldiner family was struggling financially. The total costs of the operations would come to $70,000, a price the Schuldiner family could not afford. Many fundraisers, auctions, and benefit concerts took place to help cover the costs. The money began to come in as the metal community, in total shock, realized that Schuldiner's life was in danger. The metal community and the Schuldiner family showed deep concern because Schuldiner could lose his life due to lack of funds. The doctors who removed his tumor called the original diagnosis of pontine glioma a misdiagnosis.

Schuldiner continued to work on his music, continuing his work with Control Denied. About two years after his original diagnosis, in May 2001, the cancer returned and Schuldiner fell ill again. He was originally denied surgery (which he needed immediately) due to lack of funds. A press release called for support from everyone, including fellow artists. Jane Schuldiner urged all who read the statements about Schuldiner and his illness to go out and get insurance, showing her frustration in the American system. Schuldiner had gotten medical insurance after his first surgery, but the insurer had refused to pay because the tumor existed before he had gotten the insurance. Schuldiner received a chemotherapy drug called vincristine to help with his therapy. Like most drugs used in the treatment of cancer, the side effects were harsh and weakened Chuck greatly. Undaunted, Schuldiner fought on. In late October/early November, Schuldiner became ill with pneumonia. He died on December 13, 2001, at approximately 4 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

You can't help but wonder if, knowing what is known now, just how much more easily metal heads world-wide would have gotten Chuck the cash he needed to hopefully still be around today :(

I've never been a Death fan but Control Denied was awesome :headbang:

The Sound Of Perseverance honestly has to be one of the great albums of all time and made all the more moving by what happened before and after it's release.
And Voice Of The Soul is the one great instrumental songs ever written and gives the most poignant voice to such a silent struggle.

I remember the first time I heard Death and literally had my jaw drop -despite not being a death or thrash metal fan at the time (having moved away from it for various reasons in my life).
And then seeing their live DVD a few years later and being in awe od their technical abilities and Chuck's raw yet passionate vocals.
Then I heard The Sound Of Perseverance and that sealed it for me.
Was a Death fan and in total awe and respect for them -especially for what Chuck went through (like so many other people we know or have never met).

Unfortunately, never heard much of Control Denied or Chuck's other projects, but as long as we still have Spiritual Healing, Human, Individual Thought Patterns and The Sound Of Perseverance we can be assured of the immortal status of Chuck Sculdiner and the band Death.

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Remembered. Chuck and Death were amazing. Love every Death album, particularly Sound of Perseverance and Symbolic.

R.I.P, It sucks that it's only up till recently that iv'e actually started listening to Death, it saddens me knowing I won't be able to see them live, couldn't even go to the damn tribute gig the other night,

Rip :headbang:

The Sound Of Perseverance honestly has to be one of the great albums of all time and made all the more moving by what happened before and after it's release.
And Voice Of The Soul is the one great instrumental songs ever written and gives the most poignant voice to such a silent struggle.

I remember the first time I heard Death and literally had my jaw drop -despite not being a death or thrash metal fan at the time (having moved away from it for various reasons in my life).
And then seeing their live DVD a few years later and being in awe od their technical abilities and Chuck's raw yet passionate vocals.
Then I heard The Sound Of Perseverance and that sealed it for me.
Was a Death fan and in total awe and respect for them -especially for what Chuck went through (like so many other people we know or have never met).

Unfortunately, never heard much of Control Denied or Chuck's other projects, but as long as we still have Spiritual Healing, Human, Individual Thought Patterns and The Sound Of Perseverance we can be assured of the immortal status of Chuck Sculdiner and the band Death.
:
Great post pimp

R.I.P, It sucks that it's only up till recently that iv'e actually started listening to Death, it saddens me knowing I won't be able to see them live, couldn't even go to the damn tribute gig the other night,

Rip :headbang:
The tribute gig was awesome, there was a fair few people there for a thursday night probably 40-50 all of the bands were good. Dispite one singer doing the most horrid cover of Crystal mountain *don't get Ben started* I seriously doubt he has ever listened to Death before. Which is pretty bad seeing as though it was a tribute gig.

I have all the death albums but I haven't heard any control denied stuff yet, I must by myself some cristmas presents

Great post pimp

Cheers, Watto, but I don't go by that moniker anymore.

It's Shadow now, but will still replay to the old name.

Would've loved to see the tribute show.
Pity about that one singer but you can say it's like Burton's vocals on that Cemetery Gates cover -it happens every now and again.

Here's to a better show next year.

Yeah seen it at JB a few times. I got mine off trusty eBay years ago for something like $1 with a whole bunch of other $1 second hand CDs from the mighty US of A. Easily better than anything he ever did with Death :headbang: