circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Cipher – Children of God’s Fire
Uprising Records – UPR45 – 2005
By Jason Jordan

UPR45_CIPHER144.jpg

Ever hear a band whose music you like but vocals you detest, which ultimately leads to total dismissal? Thankfully, it doesn’t happen to me too frequently, though Cipher have managed to sicken me by way of Moe Mitchell’s vocalizations. Perhaps the most disconcerting thing about Children of God’s Fire is the above-the-bar musicianship that falls on deaf ears due to annoying vox.

The quintet, after I checked out their band photograph, can be grouped in with God Forbid as a result of their diversity, but their music most resembles chaoscore-advocates such as The Dillinger Escape Plan. The buck doesn’t stop with the latter, because the rap-infused delivery is reminiscent of early day Candiria, and further credence is added to rap’s solidification by MF Doom’s appearance on “Verse Vs. the Virus.” Now, Cipher aren’t bent on leading you through the murky depths of chaos, though, and Children of God’s Fire touches on perfectly coherent metalcore at times. Constantly revisiting Mitchell’s chords only serves to agitate me, however. It sounds like the frontman simply refuses to enunciate properly, or his slack jaw affects his vocal blasts significantly. Whatever the case – and I loathe dwelling on it – they’re incredibly grating, and weigh the album down. Time wise, Cipher have unleashed a fifteen-track record that lasts for over an hour.

More often than not, I can’t bear absorbing albums that have been dipped in rap, no matter how pleasant the instrumentation is. Couple the aforementioned with the group’s political agenda and fucked up vox, and you’ve got an outing I refuse to endorse. Children of God’s Fire is ambitious, sure, but Cipher still have quite a ways to go before they lure me in without resistance.

6/10

Official Cipher Website
Official Uprising Records Website