circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Circle of Dead Children – Zero Comfort Margin
Willowtip Records – WT035 – July 12th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

cd-zerocomfortmargin-150x150.jpg

Winnar! Not only have Circle of Dead Children returned more violently than ever, they’ve put forth a phenomenal MCD. Zero Comfort Margin is, thankfully, priced like an EP and is a requisite acquisition for anyone who fancies cream-of-the-crop grindcore, and sentences without periods

There are almost as many minutes contained on this MCD as there are tracks. Circle of Dead Children, the band with the astonishingly indecipherable logo, have coined fifteen tracks that last twenty minutes, plus change. Unfortunately, most of Zero Comfort Margin speeds past in a blur, so I naturally wanted more material to sink my teeth into. However, compositions such as “Zero Comfort Margin” and “No Tears Fall Through Hollow Eye-Sockets” – with their muddled musicianship and sickly, guttural vocals – are simply venomous. Furthermore, there’s hardly anything as pleasing as being surprised by an earthshaking groove, which happens quite frequently when Circle of Dead Children commandeer the instrumentation. In addition to the bludgeoning grindcore, the quartet saw fit to provide the listener with a handful of humorous soundclips that are backhanded attempts at belittling the institution, or the powers that be, or Big Brother, or The Man, or whatever else needs reforming. Also, I can’t leave the artwork by the wayside, because it’s nothing less than stunning and – unexpectedly – expansive.

Thus, citing all the stellar characteristics that Zero Comfort Margin possesses, I have no choice but to award an excellent score. Willowtip Records is nearly always spot-on, and this MCD in no way persuades me to discard my current viewpoint. Circle of Dead Children, along with Negura Bunget, have produced one of the finest EP’s of 2005.

9/10

Official Circle of Dead Children Website
Official Willowtip Records Website