Clean and tight as modern metal, big and punchy as a rock mix - REAL DRUMS

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
K lads, here's the first rough mix of one of GODSNAKE's new songs...
No samples, just consistent and hard hitting on a Wahan kit.
Guitars are emg81 into Diezel Hagen and Mesa RevF Recto.
I was going for a clean and tight metal mix with the "size" of a good rock mix.

Godsnake Roughmix

Enjoy

is that..... is that James Hetfield's long lost brother? o.o
awesome mix though dude! only criticism is that the snare is a bit too thunky for my liking, sounds like there's a weird resonant frequency in the low end, that's just me though, I always like ultra cracky snares :D

To be honest I find the singer kinda annoying.
The mix is great though. Kinda raw, in a good way, it suits the style. The drums sound awesome, maybe the kick is a bit too loud at times, but that might just be me.

guitar tone is fucking great.

drums are WAY too dry for me. they sound really great but theres so much space for the room mics to come forward and give it more life/a bigger sound.

I'd probably make the bass more prominent in the upper mids.

and the vocalist is hetfield.

yeah, I mixed this rather dry on purpse, tried to find a way to get that clean dry sound in a big rock mix, I kinda think it works tbh.
about the singer....I started tracking with an sm7 and then decided against is, just to make at least the recording chain as different from metallica as it can be ;)

I agree on the 'want more room' sentiment but this sounds great as is. He actually reminds me more of Mustaine than Hetfield; similar to both, a great hybrid. I don't think he sounds too close to Hetfield where it'll pigeonhole them as "that Metallica ripoff band."

Just got to the slower, chuggier part; guitar tone is SO sick but the drums are begging for more room/less direct mic, especially on the snare. That whammy flutter/dive had more ambience than the drums. :lol:

Guitartone = sex
Fucking love it, exactly the right amount of juicy creamyness!
I think you said hagen+5153, quadtracked?

A bit more roomyness could be pretty nice indeed, if not on the kick (which I'd try) then at least on the snare

Vox are a bit middy sounding right now too