Clean or distorted? Also, rate a mix

ParsonsMatt

Alas, Tyranny
Nov 15, 2006
Athens, GA
www.myspace.com
Hey everyone,

Final bits of tracking are complete on my CD. I'm putting the finishing touches on the mix and I'd like some feedback.

Here's a full song, tell me how you like the mix: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=442291&songID=8442658

And here is a guitar solo, with a clean and distorted tone. I can't tell which I like better. Let me know what you think:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=442291&songID=8442659
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=442291&songID=8442660

Thanks!

The guitars could come up a bit, the kick down and also the toms. They are very loud. The first bend of the solo it´s out of tune.

Yo dude, sounding pretty good, though there's a bit of an omnipresent rumbling that I think is coming from the guitars, partially exacerbated by the fact that some sound panned too close to the center. Toms sound good, but are WAY too loud IMO, especially the low ones. Is there a doubling effect on the female vox? Not too crazy about it, but they sound good, if a bit "sleepy" (due to the performance more than anything else though I'd wager). It's funny, I feel the guitars are loud enough, yet the details are really obscured, I'm thinking it's that the center two of the quad-tracking are just too close in, and the "whoomps" on the palm mutes are pretty intense bit unpleasant; honestly, have you considered just muting the two inner ones? Or if nothing else, just high-passing them a bit higher up (and dropping the bass on the amp-sim, I'm gonna guess X30?) Vox are too loud in this bridge section (with the unison clean/screams before the solo), but it all sounds good. Cool solo, could use a bit of tightening in the performance though (rhythmically mainly, ditto for the harmony, and the vibrato sounds a bit uncontrolled; nice note choice though!). Overall sweet man! :headbang:

And I'm definitely feeling the distorted tone on the second solo btw, which should come as no surprise :D

The guitars could come up a bit, the kick down and also the toms. They are very loud. The first bend of the solo it´s out of tune.

Thanks for listening! I'll probably retrack that solo, just wanted an idea on the tone.

Yo dude, sounding pretty good, though there's a bit of an omnipresent rumbling that I think is coming from the guitars, partially exacerbated by the fact that some sound panned too close to the center. Toms sound good, but are WAY too loud IMO, especially the low ones. Is there a doubling effect on the female vox? Not too crazy about it, but they sound good, if a bit "sleepy" (due to the performance more than anything else though I'd wager). It's funny, I feel the guitars are loud enough, yet the details are really obscured, I'm thinking it's that the center two of the quad-tracking are just too close in, and the "whoomps" on the palm mutes are pretty intense bit unpleasant; honestly, have you considered just muting the two inner ones? Or if nothing else, just high-passing them a bit higher up (and dropping the bass on the amp-sim, I'm gonna guess X30?) Vox are too loud in this bridge section (with the unison clean/screams before the solo), but it all sounds good. Cool solo, could use a bit of tightening in the performance though (rhythmically mainly, ditto for the harmony, and the vibrato sounds a bit uncontrolled; nice note choice though!). Overall sweet man! :headbang:

And I'm definitely feeling the distorted tone on the second solo btw, which should come as no surprise :D

Dude! I had the guitars panned like 100/70/70/100, panning them out to 100/90/90/100 and making ReaXComp take the bass a bit lower really did the trick in getting the guitars to be more clear! Thanks for the tip :D

Taken the overall balance issues into consideration, you're right.. adjusted the mix a bit, new link in OP.

Thanks!