Comments concerning the recent live return of Katagory V

Dustin

C-C-Cool Beans!!!
Just a note for this post: this is just a few thoughts of mine from the recent show we did - our first in over a year - with the new lineup.
:saint:

First of all, let me start off by giving a huge thanks to Rob, the guys in the Street and staff at Club Abyss for inviting Katagory V to perform with the Iron Maidens and letting us put on our first show in over a year this past Saturday. The professionalism, hospitality, and overall family feel of everyone involved was above and beyond any show I've ever played in the last decade. Seriously! It was one of the smoothest, tightly run gigs I've had the pleasure to be involved with in memory, and a huge kudos goes out to everyone that was involved.

The show was sold-out to capacity, and there were people having to wait outside just to get in… it was insane! Granted, 90% of the people in attendance were there for the lovely Iron Maidens and the local reigning kings of rock, The Street, who were ON FIRE that night, but what really impressed me was how many showed up early enough to catch our set, many whom I have never seen before at any previous Katagory V shows in our hometown - to sum it up, a LOT of new faces! We even started 10 minutes early, and I believe most of the crowd was a bit surprised and maybe even a little confused by us, but they seemed to warm up to our music half way through our set, as they then began to file onto the floor and up to the front of the stage rather quickly as we got moving.

My nerves were shot by the time we got ready to play, I hadn't slept in over five days, only had 4 hours of sleep and was up early to clean up the house for my daughters birthday brunch, and had the worst butterflies in by stomach. I haven't had this feeling since the band played it's first gig over a decade ago. With an all new line up, only four rehearsals spread out over the two months, and band members living far away, I knew that the expectations would be high, and that the 10% of people that showed up just to see us (including former band members) would be watching and listening with a scrutinizing stance. Would we do justice to the old material? Would we redeem ourselves with the new songs? …or would we simply crash and burn?

The show ALMOST went without any hiccups, but we ended up laying several eggs on stage anyway. The first four songs were hampered by a minor pedal malfunction on Bizzaro's backline drum setup, causing us to play two songs at a much slower tempo and having a very annoying and inconsistent hi-hat making noise through half the set. I'm not sure what the actual cause was as both drummer and pedal worked fine separately, and were fine before the show during sound check, but things started to fall apart by our 3rd song, and we had to stop for a few minutes to change the pedals out after the 4th song. Once we had that minor issue handled and out of the way, we took off like a rocket and only had a few minor sour notes from myself on the bass and backing vocals, a few timing issues on the guitars, and Al singing an extra chorus over Kris's solo section in one of the songs, which in retrospect, sounded pretty cool, and less like a mistake. Being that nearly the entire crowd in attendance had never heard our music before, they may not have noticed many of the huge bombs we dropped, however the musicians in the audience probably heard a few rotten eggs hit the stage, but for the most part, I feel we pull it off rather well with all circumstances considered… and that's why they call it LIVE!!!

Overall, everyone in the band did a tremendous job and gave it there all with a 110% , and regardless of any technical issues, still had a lot of fun performing the songs and delivering the goods. Now with this show out of the way, and all the kinks worked out, we'll do one or two more shows before we start recording the new album at the end of March/beginning of April.

Thanks to everyone that came out to see us, and a very huge thanks to all those that came up to one of us and thanked us personally for our performance and picked up some swag and autographs. It was a great night and I hope we can do it again very soon!

Cheers!
Dustin

So there is the commentary of what the technical difficulty was....
The first four songs were hampered by a minor pedal malfunction on Bizzaro's backline drum setup, causing us to play two songs at a much slower tempo and having a very annoying and inconsistent hi-hat making noise through half the set. I'm not sure what the actual cause was as both drummer and pedal worked fine separately, and were fine before the show during sound check, but things started to fall apart by our 3rd song, and we had to stop for a few minutes to change the pedals out after the 4th song.
So what happend was that prior to the show I talked to Rob about changing out his kick drum pedal for mine during our set. His pedal was one of those old pearl excellerator double kick pedals. Unlike my DW 9000 his did not have a solid pedal board with velcro and medal spurs to keep it form creeping. (on the left side) So he instead used masking tape and attempted to tape it to the floor. (which was probably fine for him because his music doesn't call for as much left foot use) In any case he insisted that I keep his in place, so I did. The tape made it a little ways past the first song, but was eventually creeping so bad that I almost couldn't reach it any more. So when ever I would get a break with my left foot I would try to grab it and pull it back with the sole of my shoe. Well after a few songs went by I decided to re-arrange the hi- hat stand so that the leg would block the pedal form creeping. BAD IDEA!!! The pedal would instead go up against the leg of the hi hat and the sproket would lock the pedal in the down position rendering it totally useless!!!! So I would attempt to play the double bass parts with one foot (which I couldn't do at tempo) Then again I kept trying to use my left foot to free the pedal (all while still trying to play the song) that my left foot obviously could not stay on the hi-hat pedal so you would get the strange hi hat sounds that dustin was explaining. I would try to hold it down with my heel and move the pedal with my toes and the hi hats could just bob up and down inconsistantly and randomly.
Once I got my pedal things went much smoother!
-Bizzaro

I'm always the latest to respond, aren't I?

To reiterate what Dustin said, the show was definitely a fun time. The best part for me was sharing the stage for the first time with my new bandmates. Bizzaro, Kris, and Mark did a fantastic job. I couldn't ask for a better group of new jamming buddies. It made me wish I could be around to rock out with them more often.

Of course, seeing my bro Dustin again was another highlight, even if he insists on calling me "Blumpie!" Though I did share his nervousness, I don't think I could come close to matching it.

As awesome as it was to be on stage again, there was certainly plenty of icing to put on this cake, and that came in the form of you fans. Whether you were checking us out for the first time (the very good majority of you) or you were supporting one of your favorite hometown bands (the few but mighty), you brought a smile to this awkwardly active singer.

I'll admit that I'm my own worst critic and that I kept kicking myself for my lyrical flops over the course of the night. In fact, based on the comments posted thus far, you might think that we all felt it was a bad show. On the contrary, we had an absolute blast, and we have a lot of folks in attendance and on stage to thank for it. We just want to make sure that you folks get the best performance for your money. You know what they say: you only have one chance to make a first impression. I keep that in mind every time I perform to a new crowd, and I know I'm not the only one.

With that, thanks to everyone who attended, thanks to the guys and girls of The Street and The Iron Maidens for keeping the heaviness going, and thanks to my bandmates for making me feel welcome, even though I can't normally be around to rehearse with them. Let's give them an even better show next time!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I'm always the latest to respond, aren't I?

To reiterate what Dustin said, the show was definitely a fun time. The best part for me was sharing the stage for the first time with my new bandmates. Bizzaro, Kris, and Mark did a fantastic job. I couldn't ask for a better group of new jamming buddies. It made me wish I could be around to rock out with them more often.

Of course, seeing my bro Dustin again was another highlight, even if he insists on calling me "Blumpie!" Though I did share his nervousness, I don't think I could come close to matching it.

As awesome as it was to be on stage again, there was certainly plenty of icing to put on this cake, and that came in the form of you fans. Whether you were checking us out for the first time (the very good majority of you) or you were supporting one of your favorite hometown bands (the few but mighty), you brought a smile to this awkwardly active singer.

I'll admit that I'm my own worst critic and that I kept kicking myself for my lyrical flops over the course of the night. In fact, based on the comments posted thus far, you might think that we all felt it was a bad show. On the contrary, we had an absolute blast, and we have a lot of folks in attendance and on stage to thank for it. We just want to make sure that you folks get the best performance for your money. You know what they say: you only have one chance to make a first impression. I keep that in mind every time I perform to a new crowd, and I know I'm not the only one.

With that, thanks to everyone who attended, thanks to the guys and girls of The Street and The Iron Maidens for keeping the heaviness going, and thanks to my bandmates for making me feel welcome, even though I can't normally be around to rehearse with them. Let's give them an even better show next time!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

AMEN!!!! A little warm fuzzy with sentiment, but AMEN!
-Bizzaro