Completely OT: Deep Purple 'Burn' Video

I've got the DVD of this concert, and it's definitely one of my favorites. While I also like Coverdale, I never understood why they were looking for another singer when they already had Glenn in the band.

In addition to the California Jam DVD, I also suggest picking up Glenn's new one, entitled "Soulfully Live in the City of Angels". Unfortunately, he doesn't include "Burn" on this one; however, he does include "Mistreated", plus he performs "Gettin' Tighter" and "You Keep on Moving" from the Tommy Bolin era of the band. There's also some Trapeze gems, and the new songs are very good, as well.

James said:
I've got the DVD of this concert, and it's definitely one of my favorites. While I also like Coverdale, I never understood why they were looking for another singer when they already had Glenn in the band.

In addition to the California Jam DVD, I also suggest picking up Glenn's new one, entitled "Soulfully Live in the City of Angels". Unfortunately, he doesn't include "Burn" on this one; however, he does include "Mistreated", plus he performs "Gettin' Tighter" and "You Keep on Moving" from the Tommy Bolin era of the band. There's also some Trapeze gems, and the new songs are very good, as well.

Blackmore wanted a singer with more balls and less "funky blues stuff"

dargormudshark said:
Blackmore wanted a singer with more balls and less "funky blues stuff"

Well, I understand that Blackmore desperately wanted Paul Rodgers in the band, and he couldn't get him, so he picked whoever he could find that he thought would sing in the vein of Paul Rodgers. As the story goes, Paul Rodgers himself didn't understand why Ritchie was looking for a vocalist when he already had Glenn Hughes.

I like Coverdale today, and I thought he did a great job back then, but when I watch the California Jam DVD, it's impossible for me to come to the conclusion that Coverdale had more balls than Hughes. I just thought it was a waste to relegate Hughes to more of a background vocalist type of role; however, Hughes obviously didn't mind taking the back seat in exchange for a decent paycheck.

James said:
Have you heard Hughes' version of 'Burn' on his 'Burning Japan Live' cd? That version is THE version...it's Glenn's song after that performance. He is so versatile and has as much balls as anyone - one of my absolute all time favorites...not a bad bass player either.

TheWhisper said:
Have you heard Hughes' version of 'Burn' on his 'Burning Japan Live' cd? That version is THE version...it's Glenn's song after that performance. He is so versatile and has as much balls as anyone - one of my absolute all time favorites...not a bad bass player either.

I actually was going to bring that up in my previous post, but I figured the post was already long-winded enough as it stood :lol:

However, since you brought it up, I will have to say that I agree 100% with your statement. I love the "Burning Japan Live" CD...Glenn's performance is stellar, and that is also one hell of a band that he had at the time.

With respect to Glenn's time in Deep Purple, I also felt that his voice would have been a better fit for any of the Gillan-era material. I suppose it doesn't matter that much, since they pretty much stuck to "Smoke on the Water"/"Space Truckin' " type material at the California Jam gig, but I would have loved to hear Glenn sing something like "Child in Time".