Complex Metal like Emperor's prometheus. Is there more?

Kushantaiidan

SPASIBA AX.
Is there any more music that is similar to Emperor's latest album?

The music I'm talking about is this Unbeleivably complex metal that I've only heard in a few bands like opeth and emperor. Are there other bands with that kind of music? Or is this a new thing that is yet to turn into it's own genre?

did that make any sense?

Scholomance, Sculptured, Agalloch (pretty much anything on End Records), Love History (End Rec's again)....Noctuary for BM is interestingly composed (esp. latest album When Fires Breed Blood), Borknagar, Enslaved...just a few

Originally posted by Sadistik
Scholomance, Sculptured, Agalloch (pretty much anything on End Records), Love History (End Rec's again)....Noctuary for BM is interestingly composed (esp. latest album When Fires Breed Blood), Borknagar, Enslaved...just a few

Don´t have too great expectations about them. They suck.

Try a band called Death. They´re not as complex as Emperor but
intricate enough to keep the interest. They´re a cool blend of all
genres of metal...

Originally posted by StorTroll

Don´t have too great expectations about them. They suck.

Try a band called Death. They´re not as complex as Emperor but
intricate enough to keep the interest. They´re a cool blend of all
genres of metal...

Deaths' most complex would be the newest, TSOP & Symbolic. The earlier 5 albums are very good but not as complex. :)

Listened to a fair bit of death.. Not bad at all, and they spawned a genre.

But is there anything as complex as prometheus? Anything that comes close?

If this is a new style, I hope other bands follow it.

Truth is I'm just sad about emperors departure. It's good that they are retiring at their prime.. But I want more, or at least the prospect of more.

I've listened to prometheus at least 70 times now.

Complex metal, may not be exactly what you are looking for but extremely complex none the less....

-Theory in Practice
-Spiral Architect

Some believe them to be too technical and almost unmusical however.

Technical/complex metal bands that will please if you like the new Emperor:

Spastic Ink
Watchtower
Spiral Architect
Scholomance
Cynic
Atheist (Unquestionable Presence, Elements)
Theory in Practice
Death (Human and beyond)...
Cryptopsy- And Then You'll Beg
Dillinger Escape Plan- Calculating Infinity

I would never, ever, ever, ever put OPETH (geez, people), Novembre, Agalloch, Dan Swanö, Borknagar, Symphony X, Enslaved, Love History, or Arcturus in this 'technical' category, even if they all sometimes flirt with more technical elements... some of these responses I've seen in this thread are embarassing and making me wonder if you people are actually trying to answer the damned question, or if you are actually taking the stance of "I will answer any request for recommendations with the albums I'm really enjoying right now, no matter how close it fits what the person wants."

It's like someone asking "I want to hear something that sounds like In Flames" and people answer "Opeth! Katatonia!"

Originally posted by Jim LotFP

I would never, ever, ever, ever put OPETH (geez, people), Novembre, Agalloch, Dan Swanö, Borknagar, Symphony X, Enslaved, Love History, or Arcturus in this 'technical' category, even if they all sometimes flirt with more technical elements... some of these responses I've seen in this thread are embarassing and making me wonder if you people are actually trying to answer the damned question, or if you are actually taking the stance of "I will answer any request for recommendations with the albums I'm really enjoying right now, no matter how close it fits what the person wants."

It's like someone asking "I want to hear something that sounds like In Flames" and people answer "Opeth! Katatonia!"

If that's the case then, describe the term "technical"?

Surely it would depend on what genre of music you were talking about? I, personally, would never put Death in the same league as Emperor.

And anyway, the request was for "complex" music, not technical - there is a difference. I have NEVER heard an album like the new Emperor, but the closest I have heard in terms of complexity would be La Masquerade Infernal. I've heard plenty of "Death" covers, but never any "Arcturus". So maybe that says something?

You could say that Pink Foyd were complex, in their genre?

Actually I don't care, I'm not well , and I can't be bothered anymore. I'm probably rambling anyway......

Originally posted by Graveless Soul
If that's the case then, describe the term "technical"?

... I'd define technical music as that which is consciously difficult to play, requiring a high level of musicianship, where precision is absolutely key.

Surely it would depend on what genre of music you were talking about? I, personally, would never put Death in the same league as Emperor.

But at the same time I don't think Chuck and Ihsahn would have much trouble playing each others' songs if they wanted to. Black and death metal (and Death relates to death metal about the same way as Emperor relates to black metal) are both musical forms that really lose their purity I think, the more advanced the musicians become.

And anyway, the request was for "complex" music, not technical - there is a difference. I have NEVER heard an album like the new Emperor, but the closest I have heard in terms of complexity would be La Masquerade Infernal. I've heard plenty of "Death" covers, but never any "Arcturus". So maybe that says something?

Most Death covers I've seen deals with the early days of the band. I'd think most people who enjoy Arcturus are smart enough to realize there's not a damn point in most cover songs. heh. But when you start layering on the effects and keyboards, it becomes not an issue of 'how difficult is this to actually play', but 'do we have the resources to recreate this sound as a band?' We can add Blind Guardian to this list then if that's a valid criteria, and I don't think they belong in this kind of category either.

You could say that Pink Foyd were complex, in their genre?

All I've heard of Pink Floyd are their radio songs, so I couldn't say...

I did go off on my own rant though, sorry about that, especially when the asker of the question included Opeth himself... hehe...

A combination of liking the taste of my feet, and being pretty infuriated at the lack of knowledge of these types of bands to the metal scene at large...