Computers.....

Trep

Mar 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I'll be in the market for a new Computer Pretty Soon.

Was Just interested into what everyone else was using and how they were finding it.

With all this "multi" core technology out how much of is it necessarily useful to our application (audio). Even so, how much of that is useful to the small home studio user?

Also is anyone using iMacs out there for audio, most people seem to go for the Powermacs but they have a meaty sized pricetag.... I dunno bout you guys, but in Australia, A basic Power Mac Goes at 4 Grand., Not an everyday expense.

Your Thoughts

Please No PC vs Mac Posts..... Mac is Better :lol: haha

i mixed my bands album on a macbook, and it wasnt even breaking a sweat, an imac would be great, a macpro is almost overkill.....

i mixed my bands album on a macbook, and it wasnt even breaking a sweat, an imac would be great, a macpro is almost overkill.....

I had a listen to your band. You guys are really good man.

Was that an unplugged electric guitar i herd towards the end on Recovery?

Great Idea.:headbang:

i have a quadcore pc with 8gz ram, as well as a 8core mac pro with 8gz ram, soon to be 16gigs. the more ram you get the better..... get whichever one has the fastest hd buffer speed and most amt of ram available...

i agree mac is better

the imacs can have up to 4gb, plenty for mixing. in logic with 50 + tracks with at least one plug on each channel, using less than 25% of my cpu. thats only 2.0 ghz and 2gb ram. havent mixed on my new macbook yet. i would say more than 4gb is really overkill. im expecting the next gen. of imacs to sport a qc processor, so maybe hold off till january if you can. new macbooks are announced today!!!

As far as the iMacs Go does anybody find any limitaions with the all in one screen/Processor.

Im running Firewire so i dont need PCI capabilitys, but its one of those things that i dont wanna buy something then a few months down the trak i grow into a new area of production where im limited by what i bought.

BTW, i wasnt impressed by the new Macbooks. No real impressive spec improvements besides HDD, mostly cosmetic. I like the Look of my white previous gen one better anyway.

Our school's MIDI lab had a shitload of imacs that were ALWAYS overheating and in need of repairs, though this was a little over a year ago, so I'd imagine they've remedied that by now.

they are most likely g5`s. they were very problematic, because the processors got very hot. the intel ones are fine. ive put my 2006 imac through some good use (or abuse lol) for over 2 years with out any major issues,(other than some small software bugs). never had issues with firewire drivers/ chipsets or any of that nonsense. go imac, you wont regret it. im sure other imac owners would chime in!