Concept Album Recommendations

maestro_al

Who Dares Wins
Mar 26, 2002
I'm looking for recommendations for concept albums with great/thrilling story lines! Some examples I already own are:

Dream Theatre - Scenes From a Memory
Evergrey - In Search of the Truth
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Avantasia

Any more out there? Thanks! :)

Green Carnation- Light of Day, Day of Darkness
Edge of Sanity- Crimson
Opeth- My Arms, Your Hearse

Savatage - Streets, Dead Winter Dead, The Wake of Magellen, Poets & Madmen
Eternity X - The Edge
Emperor - Prometheus
WASP- The Crimson Idol
Queensryche - The Warning (it's a concept disc, tracklisting out of order)
Blue Öyster Cult - Imaginos (same problem as QR's the Warning, but totally brilliant)
Cradle of Filth - Cruelty & the Beast
oh, the nearly the full KING DIAMOND catalogue (they're all storyline based, except for 2 discs)

Mayhem - "Grand Declaration Of War"
Ulver - "Bergtatt"
Chaostar - "Chaostar"
everything by Angizia
Haggard - "And Thou Shalt Trust...The Seer"
Fates Warning - "A Pleasant Shade Of Grey"
Blind Guardian - "Nightfall In Middle Earth"

The entire Morbid Angel catalogue is a concept (sort of). The album titles progress in alphabetical order, and they all used to lyricaly revolve around the Necronomicon and mesopotamian mythology. They still do to some degree, but the boys in MA seem to be less worried about writing a song to invoke Cthulu, or whatever they used to try to do.

Morbid angel records are concepts just as much as cannibal corpse records are. they just write about similar themes from album to album. there's no story line or anything.

Jag panzer's thane to the throne. (i dont like this album but its defianetly a concept record)
novembers doom; the knowing
Absu Tara. a brilliant album in every way
enslaved monumension. not a storyline really, but a definately a concept album following a rune ritual.
devin townsend: infiinity. teria might fit in this too, not sure.

King Diamond - Abigail
King Diamond - Them
King Diamond - Conspiracy
King Diamond - The Eye
King Diamond - Voodoo
King Diamond - House Of God
King Diamond - Abigail 2
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
Opeth - Still Life
Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade Of Gray
Queensrÿche - Operation Mindcrime
Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle-Earth
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
Pink Floyd - The Wall

I don't know if it has any interestin story line, but Marvin Gaye's "What's going on" is a concept album as far as I know and it's a superb record!!!! This of course isn't metal, but Motown stuff. I don't really listen to Motown, but this record is as I said superb. On top of that I think Marvin is the greatest singer to ever grace the face of the earth!!!!!!

Definetly Blind Guardian's "Nightfall in Middle-Earth"!

and to add something pretty good that wasn't mentioned:
Dio - Magica

btw, if the story is really important to you on the concept album and you haven't read The Silmarillion, than it might be a little difficult for you to understand the concept(s) of Nightfall in Middle-Earth. But it's a great album nonetheless.
I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings just so I could read The Silmarillion and understand the album...