Connect amp to a cabinet in another room?

DocSauerkraut

May 20, 2011
Berlin, Germany
Hi!

How can i connect my amp to a cabinet that is placed in another room? There will be approx. 15-20 m distance between amp and cabinet.

I suppose i should do this via a XLR cable? But do i need DI boxes for this or will adapters 1/4" -> XLR work?

Just make sure you use a speaker cable of sufficient gauge. 12ga (≈ 2mm) is sufficient for virtually any amp to speaker application. I wouldn't go thinner than 14ga.

Just make sure you use a speaker cable of sufficient gauge. 12ga (≈ 2mm) is sufficient for virtually any amp to speaker application. I wouldn't go thinner than 14ga.

Yeah, my 100ft speaker cable is insanely heavy gauge, not recalling off the top of my head...

I have literally cut the ends off of orange power extension cables and soldered 1/4" phono plugs on the end. They're dirt cheap and rated for far more power than an amp will ever push through.

Most cheap orange cables are 14ga which is probably more than sufficient. However, my attitude is that as much as you can completely eliminate potential issues from the distance you should when dealing with tube amps since cable impedance increases with distance and that can affect tone and increase the load on the head.
Here is a fun nerd tool:
http://www.electrovoice.com/cableloss.php