Contracts....?

Executioner213

Ultimate Meatbag
Sep 2, 2001
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com
We are getting lined up to play this week for a decent sized event (Evel Kineval Week...yes, it does exist where I'm at because it's where the fuckin grumpy bastard is from). The promotor who is hiring us is a shady scumbag, and has fucked pretty much every band in town out of what is offered when hired. I want him to sign a contract. In the state I live in, you can essentially write something out on a napkin and have them sign it for it to be legal, but I want something a little more professional so he realizes that we aren't fuckin around. Anybody got anything they throw at promoters for such a thing?

We have, but only in German.
you should ensure:
- The money you get (don´t agree with this "Depends on how much people come and pay for you-stuff, if there are less people you won´t get paid, if he´s a scumbag and there are many people, he´ll say it wasn´t enough so you won´t get paid, ...) And don´t forget to mention that you´ll get paid cash right after the show, no bank-transfers that will never arrive.
- The catering you get (if so, talk details! If you tell them "We want a nice catering" they´ll give you shit and say "That´s nice, huh?")
- The play-time you´ll have
- Which equipment you get from them and what you have to bring yourself
- Do a technical rider. This should show your instruments, amps, cabs, etc., the position of the monitoring speakers and should name the mics, effects and stuff you´d recommend them to use. Again, I could send you our rider, but it´s in German, too.

Hope that helps a bit.

I have it in spanish.
Another think to take in account is that in case you go there and the show get cancelled for any reason -weather, earthquake, alien attack or whatever- be sure that you get paid at least 70% of the accorded fee.

Don't play. If bands don't work with this bastard, then he'd have to quit and won't fuck more bands in the future (haha, idealism). Moreover, a contract is nice and looks pro, but what if he doesn't respect it? Will you be able to sue him? Do you have lawyers and stuff? And lots of money to lose on that?

I'd have to agree with Brett... Contracts don't mean anything, unless you sign them with lawyers present or similar situation... At least, that's what it's like in France... But it makes sense to me. But if you really want to play, then make him sign a contract anyway, and get ready to be fucked :)

http://www.faderhead.com/gigstuff/rider/faderhead_rider_2007.pdf
This is my technical rider. Look through this thing and maybe you will find some stuff that you can use.
"Sound Engineer:
A competent engineer must be provided by organizer, currently FADERHEAD is travelling without own sound engineer! If the engineer is not able to operate the FOH and stage equipment properly and in reasonable time, this constitutes a €150 penalty."
"Stagehands / Local Crew:
V1 will need 1 stagehand available at all time during their stay at the venue. See time schedule in the contract. Checkout of the stagehand has to be agreed by V1. Load-Out must be possible directly after the show.
Promoter will pay a penalty fee of € 150,- / £ 100,- per non-available or unmotivated or unskilled or drunk
stagehand."
Are you serious???

"Sound Engineer:
A competent engineer must be provided by organizer, currently FADERHEAD is travelling without own sound engineer! If the engineer is not able to operate the FOH and stage equipment properly and in reasonable time, this constitutes a €150 penalty."
"Stagehands / Local Crew:
V1 will need 1 stagehand available at all time during their stay at the venue. See time schedule in the contract. Checkout of the stagehand has to be agreed by V1. Load-Out must be possible directly after the show.
Promoter will pay a penalty fee of € 150,- / £ 100,- per non-available or unmotivated or unskilled or drunk
stagehand."
Are you serious???

Yes. This is not unusual at all and no promoter ever negotiates this ...

You don't need big bad lawyers and lawsuits for shit anymore....there is always small claims court. I did some research and found this site (among tons of others):
www.music-law.com

It probably mostly applies to the U.S. court stuff, but basically if you sign a simple contract, and they don't honor it, then you can take them to small claims court. If one was willing to do some research, then you could represent yourself. If it's for thousands of dollars, then yeah...get a lawyer, but if it's over a couple hundred then small claims court is the way to go.

Hey egan,

it works most of the time. Obviously if you book a concert and pay the band 1000 Euro + hotel + catering, then you don't want to risk the singer going into allergic shock an hour before the gig, because YOU fucked up the catering.

We all have food allergies, btw. Just not very severe ...