Control Room Windows

brianhood

No Care Ever
I just acquired a new building for my studio(and a perfect one for me, might i add). I'll be doing some work on it next week, and one of the things i want to do is add a window between the control room and the live room.

My main concern right now is cost. My ideal setup is an 8 feet by 4 feet window with 2 panes of glass;different thicknesses and angled 6 degrees away from each other.

However, i know the cost for that would be quite expensive, and since i have absolutely no idea how to do this kind of thing, i have someone doing it for me as a favor. I doubt this person is going to want to spend multiple days making custom frames for this window so that the glass can be angled properly and whatever else. Also, i dont have plans for a setup like that, and i have no idea how to explain it to him in a way that he could work with.

what are some cheaper and easier options? i'm open for just about anything, and i'm aware that sound isolation will be sacrificed

^ This is a wonderful idea. Great for sound isolation AND cheap.

If you go the glass route, you're going to need laminated glass. It will probably cost you around 600 for both pieces.

Flat screen and camera idea sounds great.... The TV could be used for other things as well, such as watching sports in between mixes :)

If you have the money I'd go with the glass window. Cameras must feel weird :Smug: Like you're stalking the guy. And he isn't able to communicate back. Kinda impersonal. *shrugs*

At my work we have a sort of 2-way camera thing. The control room has a big flatscreen that shows the live room, and the live room has rolling toolcase with a computer monitor that shows the mix position. It works pretty well.

if your planing on staying in this building for a while id take the time and and get the window how you want in the first place.

I don't know a ton about construction experiences but i know enough to beable to say that if you can get the glass building a frame shouldn't be more then a days work. we did something similar at the studio i work at and it really wasn't a big deal no more then a few hours realy

if your planing on staying in this building for a while id take the time and and get the window how you want. I don't know a ton about construction but i know enough to beable to say that if you have the glass that building that windows shouldn't be more then a days work if that we did something similar at the studio i work at and it really wasn't a big deal no more then a few hours realy

Hang on, who's had too much to drink here? That last bit gave me a head spin lol. No offense, but I think your point may be missed there.

I would go for the window option personally. It would just "feel like a real studio" that way. I think that a good two way visual does alot for communication.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Home-Recording-Studio-Build-Like/dp/1598630342/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260436097&sr=8-1]Home Recording Studio: Build it Like the Pros[/ame]

Anyone even thinking of building a studio should own this book. It was my bible for the last couple of years.

I used a sliding glass door put sideways for my studio window.. if you wanted angles you could just use two?

if your planing on staying in this building for a while id take the time and and get the window how you want in the first place.

I don't know a ton about construction experiences but i know enough to beable to say that if you can get the glass building a frame shouldn't be more then a days work. we did something similar at the studio i work at and it really wasn't a big deal no more then a few hours realy

Yeah thats basically how i feel. I wanna get it done right the first time

I found this on amazon. Priced pretty cheaply, but not the size i want.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Window-Panel-Sound-Control-Laminated/dp/B001Q8ZG0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1260464103&sr=8-1-catcorr[/ame]