Convergence or Feeding The Machine?

Nitronium Blood

UM BOARDS' JESTER
Dec 28, 2001
Marchin' up and down the scqaiya.
Visit site
It is about time I purchased atleast one of James' solo masterpieces.

As someone who is mainly familiar with James' work with Testament, which do you folks recommend I purchase?

So far I'm leaning towards Convergence, because apart from the clips I've heard on Amazon.com, [http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...14/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/103-3843774-0159052] I like the whole "I am James-I am a guitar god in Valhalla-You will never be able to reach the greatness that I am-I own your soul" vibe I'm getting from James' expression on the cover picture. :D

lol.. nice description.. i was really just doing what Steve Jennings, the photographer, told me to do... but your description is funnier.

James Murphy said:
lol.. nice description.. i was really just doing what Steve Jennings, the photographer, told me to do... but your description is funnier.
James, you are a fucking legend. If anyone deserves to give off that vibe from the album cover, none are more deserving than you my good sir. :)

You rule so much, and I still cannot believe this is you actually replying to my post!

:worship:

Hey guys, stop kissing James' butt, this is getting very uncomfortable ! This is Andy's forum, not Murphy's : Andy, we love you, you're the greatest !!! ;-)
Anyway, I would recommend Convergence, moreover Devin Townsend is singing on it so that's a good point ;)

Brett

I would obviously recommend both, but if I had to choose I would go with 'ftm'.

both are excellent but 'ftm' has a greater variety imho and I like all the different vocal performances more on the second album, the visitors song about aliens always kicks my ass whenever I hear it, great melodies!!

also I always felt that james improves from one album to the next, but my favourite stuff will probably always be his disincarnate and cancer stuff.

funny I only heard of/listened to cancer and found out about james because the cover 'looked cool' I was only about 13-14 and couldn't afford the c.d (it was an import over here and around $40) so I would just go to that c.d store every weekend and listen to it :headbang:

track three-hung drawn and qaurtered? was my fav- all I remeber is the really cool grinding trem-picking verse riff from that and something about "let me out of here, burning in this hell" or something similar :D

good times :kickass:

Personally, I'd go with Convergence, Touching The Earth is a masterpiece. ^_^

And if we're talking about James' inspiration on us all? Spritual Healing is what made me want to play guitar in the first place, though I still suck at it even 14 years later.. lol

Oh yeah, hiya from random James Muphy fan number 100. :p I'm so bad I just bought an old S540LTD. heh

Hung, Drawn and Quartered... One of my favorite songs next to "CHOPPED IN HAUUUUUGH (pause) FEEL THE BLOOD SPILL FROM YOUR MOUUUUGHTH". I also dig the appearences he made on Malevolent Creation's "Retribution" and "The Will To Kill".

Cause of Death is a death metal landmark in my opinion. I was very inspired by that album back in the day (still am). My wife even loves that album! She actually learned how to play Chopped in Half on guitar.

Convergence was a really big deal to me when it came out. Not only because of James' amazing guitar work, but there was some genuinely awesome composition and songwriting going on, particularly on the tracks with Devin Townsend as well as "Touching The Earth" with Chuck Billy. It was because of this album that I got into Devin Townsend.

"Feeding the Machine" is rad also, a bit more prog but still very heavy. You can't go wrong in picking up either release, they're equally awesome in their own ways, but considering that "Feeding The Machine" hadn't come out yet when I got "Convergence," chronological order makes sense to me.