Cool feature in Reaper's latest update!

viralz

Feb 15, 2010
Montreal, QC
Ok so I import a midi groove at 120 bpm in Reaper using superior drummer and then I record some bass and guitars over that bitch...no big deal right.

Then for some reason I changed the bpm to 150 and realized that the pitch of all my instruments didn't change! No matter what tempo I program after I've recorded my instruments it will always be keep the same tuning and follow the beat.

This 'feature' is shitting me off something chronic. It time-stretches ALL my audio across the fucking project whenever I even so much as MOVE a tempo marker - even the items before it. HOW DO I TURN IT OFF?

Ok so I import a midi groove at 120 bpm in Reaper using superior drummer and then I record some bass and guitars over that bitch...no big deal right.

Then for some reason I changed the bpm to 150 and realized that the pitch of all my instruments didn't change! No matter what tempo I program after I've recorded my instruments it will always be keep the same tuning and follow the beat.

I've done that before, don't think it's in the latest update. As long as you're tracks are timebased on "beats" instead of "time" it'll do that, if you don't wanna stretch tracks make the timebase "time".

This 'feature' is shitting me off something chronic. It time-stretches ALL my audio across the fucking project whenever I even so much as MOVE a tempo marker - even the items before it. HOW DO I TURN IT OFF?

see my post above. Make the project timebase to "time" instead of beats. Normally you want Midi tracks to move with the tempo map so keep tracks you use for midi at "beats" and all audio tracks at "time", you can do it individually per track by right clicking the track, under "track timebase". You can also set the project default in project settings.

Now I don't go all fucking crazy over this....I just use this 'feature' to see what tempo my riffs would sound the best.

What he said, it's all down to the timebase choice. It can be very tricky to understand in Reaper, and it is crucial in complex projects where your tempo changes every other measure.

I don't think it is a new feature from the last version. Maybe all they did is switch to "beat" as the default timebase for audio tracks and audio events because many people were complaining of the opposed behavior ?

What I'd like to see is be able to select multiple tempo/time sig markers and drag them simultaneously to another spot. Would come in handy for projects when you're writing stuff and not 100% on the structure. Rather than having to individually move each marker.

What I'd like to see is be able to select multiple tempo/time sig markers and drag them simultaneously to another spot. Would come in handy for projects when you're writing stuff and not 100% on the structure. Rather than having to individually move each marker.

I think this is possible.

Not totally sure on this, but I think you have to create a "Region" and then you can move the markers all at once.

EDIT: Yes, make time selection. Right click, "Create region...".

Then you can click and drag the entire region.

BUT - this also moves all the audio tracks in the region as well.....

I think this is possible.

Not totally sure on this, but I think you have to create a "Region" and then you can move the markers all at once.

EDIT: Yes, make time selection. Right click, "Create region...".

Then you can click and drag the entire region.

BUT - this also moves all the audio tracks in the region as well.....
Oh, dude, that's awesome, cheers for the tip! The audio tracks moving is fine since it's literally just for moving whole sections of music to play about with structures.

I don't know what the fuck is wrong with my copy of reaper, but I've gone through and triple-checked everything that's been said - I've been using time-base on all my audio files since forever, and have never had an issue before this update. Cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix it, so fuck it, I'm rolling back. I'm trying to mix a very busy EP with a lot of tempo markers, and every time I shift an audio file even the slightest bit, it's changing the playback rate. URGH.