(CORRECT) What songs should be added to the setlist (1/3)

pick the song(s) you'd like to see in the setlist

• Do or die

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • C.O.T.L.O.D.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • A day of reckoning

• Hypnosis (instrumental)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Perilous nation

• Time is coming

• Blessed in contempt

• Greenhouse effect

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The ballad

• Nightmare

• Confusion fusion (instrumental)

• Face in the sky

• Falling fast

• Absence of light

• Love to hate

• Dangers of the faithless

• Killing season

• F.E.A.R.

• John Doe

• Total voters

one man

Jul 4, 2002
Poland
Visit site
We've had numerous discussions about how Testament's setlist is stagnant, and how they keep composing their setlist from a certain group of songs only (these being: over the wall, haunting, burnt offerings, alone in the dark, apocalyptic city - not that often off TL; eerie, new order, trial by fire, preacher, disciples, into the pit, dirge - not that often anymore off TNO; practice, sins of omission off PWYP, souls, legacy off SOB; electric crown off TR; low, dog faced gods off L; demonic refusal, burning times - although these 2 haven't been played for a while off D; dnr, down for life - not for a while, 3 days in darkness off TG; formation, more than meets the eye, persecuted off TFOD). This has been the case not only since the reunion, but for at least 15 years (not with the newer songs of course, but the general stagnation that is). It's quite obvious the same will happen to Rise Up, True American Hate and Native Blood soon.

The explanation has always been the same - it's the fans' fault, because the fans can't imagine a setlist without the so-called "classics". I've always wondered what fan would want to hear the same songs every time he sees the band (as much as I love Into the pit and the preacher, instead of hearing them live for the 7th time I'd rather hear A day of reckoning or Careful what you wish for once). From what I've gathered over the years, many fans (not only on this forum) think this way.

A rarities concert (once mentioned by Chuck) is not likely to happen ever, but redusting the setlist and bringing some long-absent or even never played songs is not impossible. I imagine it's hard to pick songs when you have 10 studio albums out. Thus I figured we can help the band decide which songs would be "safe" to replace some classics.

I've chosen some of the least played songs over the years. Even though I'd love to see them played more often, I've left out the songs that did pop up recently even for a short while (i.e. Envy Life, Trail of Tears, First Strike is Deadly, Let Go Of My World, Raging Waters, True Believer, Reign of Terror, Afterlife, Henchmen Ride) apart, however, from those that were played only because TL and TNO were being played in their entirety (i.e. Do or die, COTLOD and Day of reckoning).

Since what I got is as many as 57 songs, I've divided them into 3 polls (due to the limit of 20 options in one poll).

MULTIPLE CHOICE IS ALLOWED. After a couple of months I'll gather the 20 most popular choices and make a final poll that will show our preferences.

To explain the messy polls I'd like to state as follows. The 57 rarely/never played songs have been divided into 3 polls (due to the limit of 20 options per poll). They are in the threads beginning with "(CORRECT)" and allow for choosing multiple options - as opposed to the defective polls in the threads without the word "(CORRECT)", which should be ignored. I hope that clears things up a little bit.

I've just stumbled upon a cool bootleg on YT. Check this setlist out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba_qE7W2PdM

I'm not sure if that is a complete show, or if the bootleg songs were taken from different shows... In any case, it's awesome to hear "Malpractice" live! I wasn't sure if they'd ever played that one live or not. So many thanks for posting that! :) I knew that they had played "Face In The Sky" live on the SOB tour, but still, I don't think they've played that song since 1991. :( Both of those songs are the songs from SOB I'd most want to see returning to current Testament setlists!

they may be songs from one show just in a messed up order, although the differences in sound quality between the songs suggest they may come from more than just 1 gig (plus I have the feeling I've heard some of the introduction speeches by Chuck before, on another bootleg). I have a video of Malpractice played live somewhere. They did play it on the SoB tour quite a few times. I totally love that song, great blend of headbangability, technique and melody.