Could it be? Deep Purple MKIII lineup reunion?

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Maybe this is all shite, but I read this in Blabbermouth today, and really got excited at the prospect. There aren't too many other reunions that could pique my interest as much as this one! I do think Ritchie is done with Rock and Roll though, so this seems unlikely to me. Still.....

METALLICA's ULRICH Says He Is Up For Playing With Reunited DEEP PURPLE - Jan. 5, 2009 METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich has offered his services to members of the DEEP PURPLE Mk III lineup should they decide to go ahead with a proposed reunion tour.

In separate interviews for February edition of Classic Rock magazine (issue No.128), David Coverdale (vocals), Glenn Hughes (bass, vocals) and Jon Lord (keyboards) have all intimated they would be up for playing together again, and all parties have recently been in contact with Ritchie Blackmore (guitar).

In fact, the only block to the band reforming could be Ian Paice, who, as a member of the current PURPLE, would probably find it difficult and uncomfortable to get involved.

Enter Lars Ulrich, a hardcore PURPLE fan who was fortunate enough to see PURPLE Mk III at the band's first show, at the KB Hallen in Copenhagen in 1973.

"I know there's talk about the fact that if they got Coverdale, Hughes, Lord and Blackmore together, they would have four members who aren't in the current DEEP PURPLE — then they just need a drummer. I'll volunteer myself for that," Lars laughed. "If they need a drummer, David Coverdale has my number."

The February edition of Classic Rock goes on sale on Wednesday, January 7.

I read the Guitar World article myself, and he has indeed been very active - with Blackmore's Night! I really don't see this reunion happening.
Stumbling block number 1: Ritchie Blackmore - the man has more than moved on from anything Purple related.
Stumbling block number 2: Such a reunited band could not be called Deep Purple since the real Deep Purple is still very much alive.

Bad idea, what's he going to do, abandon Metallica for a broken down old rusty Deep purple that doesn't even have Blackmore involved anymore? When Metallica break up, lars will probably be the cause .

Stumbling block number 1: Ritchie Blackmore - the man has more than moved on from anything Purple related.
Agreed. And doing this without Blackmore would be pointless. Maybe not as pointless as that Rainbow "reunion" with Ritchie Jr. but still pretty pointless.

Stumbling block number 2: Such a reunited band could not be called Deep Purple since the real Deep Purple is still very much alive.
Now this I wouldn't consider a huge problem. They could just call it Stormbringer or something, with the huge publicity they'd inevitably get everyone would understand it's really Deep Purple MKIII. It's the same thing as with Heaven And Hell, everyone knows it's Black Sabbath and that's why they're selling out arenas.

But yeah, I'd love to see this happen but I doubt it will, mostly because of Ritchie.

It´s impossible because of Ritchie Blackmore doesn´t want to do it... but ever if Ritchie´d accept there is another circunstance:

David Coverdale Vs Glenn Hughes? Are you kidding? Unfortunately (´cause he´s one of my favourite singers ever) Coverdale voice is over while Glenn is better than ever. It would be a mess for David and he has too mucho ego to assume it´s going to be ridicolous.

Maybe a one-off show, probably w/out Blackmore... I really doubt a true tour would come to fruition.

I don't see as remotely happening:

a) Ritchie is pretty happy in Blackmore's Night, he won't be back unless maybe for Rainbow
b) Jon Lord quit DP because he was tired of touring and he wanted to pursuit other interest, don't see him coming back for that either
c) Coverdale just resucitated Whitesnake. not to mention the LZ gossip, I don't see him either for a reunion.
d) Hughes has a prolific solo career besides collaborations in many projects why coming back to ride an old dead horse?

And finally besides the fact of the name rights (like it was already pointed) IF they reunite and IF they record the pressure will be astounding and IF they can't pull it out right it will damage their reputation so far stainless.

My view is just gossip and IF it's more than that is a terrible idea.

P.S. And Lar$ tin can Ulrich on drums?
h050.gif

I don't see as remotely happening:

a) Ritchie is pretty happy in Blackmore's Night, he won't be back unless maybe for Rainbow
b) Jon Lord quit DP because he was tired of touring and he wanted to pursuit other interest, don't see him coming back for that either
c) Coverdale just resucitated Whitesnake. not to mention the LZ gossip, I don't see him either for a reunion.
d) Hughes has a prolific solo career besides collaborations in many projects why coming back to ride an old dead horse?

And finally besides the fact of the name rights (like it was already pointed) IF they reunite and IF they record the pressure will be astounding and IF they can't pull it out right it will damage their reputation so far stainless.

My view is just gossip and IF it's more than that is a terrible idea.

P.S. And Lar$ tin can Ulrich on drums?
h050.gif

I think the same way, the only thing Blackmore might do is Rainbow again and he will in a few years i hope hehehee:kickass:

Jon Lord has denied any truth to the press rumour of an imminent Deep Purple Mark 3 reunion.

Jon Lord also says that if a reunion were to come up, it would never be without Deep Purple's only drummer, Ian Paice,

Read Jon Lord's full statement at his website www.JonLord.org.

Thanks.

Rasmus Heide

I dunno... I wouldn't classify his current album as golden

If you mean "First Underground Nuclear Kitchen" I agree totally, but again I'm not fan of his solo works. I prefer his collaborations in other projects (Phenomena, Iommi, Aina, Ken Hensley, Nikolo Kotzev, Rata Blanca).

If you mean "First Underground Nuclear Kitchen" I agree totally, but again I'm not fan of his solo works. I prefer his collaborations in other projects (Phenomena, Iommi, Aina, Ken Hensley, Nikolo Kotzev, Rata Blanca).

+ don't forget Voodoo Hill! I think the Kotzev Nostradameus album is my favorite Hughes project outside of Purple & Sabbath.

I like most of his solo albums, but there tends to be a bit of filler to contend with. The current F.U.N.K. album just doesn't do it for me...

that would be awesome if they got back together.

i want to see a rainbow reuinion, with ronnie and ritchie. I would be so excited if rainbow came back together...

good lord no. lars on drums? are you serious? he is so sloppy that he could never play a deep purple tune right. maybe lars should have spent more time learning how to play drums and less time learning how to throw darts at a picture of kip winger

good lord no. lars on drums? are you serious? he is so sloppy that he could never play a deep purple tune right. maybe lars should have spent more time learning how to play drums and less time learning how to throw darts at a picture of kip winger

Back in the early 90s he was a damn fine drummer. He's pretty rock solid on the metallica records and was fine when I saw them.