Could it be? Deep Purple MKIII lineup reunion?

Back in the early 90s he was a damn fine drummer. He's pretty rock solid on the metallica records and was fine when I saw them.

at best he was slightly better than average but he was throwing darts at a picture of a guy who the drummer in the band, rod morgenstein, was at least 10x better than he was. rod is a drum teacher at berklee school for the performing arts which is one of, if not the best music schools in the world. members of dream theater and living colour just to name a few guys attended berklee. rod also was a member of the dixie dregs and prog metal bands platypus and jelly jam

My 10 cents on the discussion. Lars Ulrich was a fine drummer for Metallica purposes since its inception but basically after AJFA he became a joke, but even in his finest day he is not near the dust of the shoes of Ian Paice who's easily one of the finest drummers in rock history. The closest I would have there to throw in as replacement (in the hypothetical case the whole reunion story is true) would have been Cozy Powell (RIP) and/or Brian Downey (who's retired).

You can now fire at me :D

My 10 cents on the discussion. Lars Ulrich was a fine drummer for Metallica purposes since its inception but basically after AJFA he became a joke, but even in his finest day he is not near the dust of the shoes of Ian Paice who's easily one of the finest drummers in rock history. The closest I would have there to throw in as replacement (in the hypothetical case the whole reunion story is true) would have been Cozy Powell (RIP) and/or Brian Downey (who's retired).

You can now fire at me :D

what about bill bruford or carmine appice? maybe even terry bozzio or chad wackerman if they want to get someone a little more out there

what about bill bruford or carmine appice? maybe even terry bozzio or chad wackerman if they want to get someone a little more out there

Alright :kickass:. Bill Bruford is a master, technically speaking superior to Paice but I don't see him in a hard rock band, to me he's a perfect progressive rock drummer. Carmine Appice is good, but for some reason I will have Paice above him always. Terry Bozzio is a very experimental drummer, I see him fit with Zappa or progressive acts but again not in Deep Purple. Don't know Chad's work enough to judge him.

Alright :kickass:. Bill Bruford is a master, technically speaking superior to Paice but I don't see him in a hard rock band, to me he's a perfect progressive rock drummer. Carmine Appice is good, but for some reason I will have Paice above him always. Terry Bozzio is a very experimental drummer, I see him fit with Zappa or progressive acts but again not in Deep Purple. Don't know Chad's work enough to judge him.

yeah those are really the only guys i can think of who aren't in major bands right now that could possibly play the deep purple drum parts. oops maybe aynsley dunbar could play it

Interesting thread. My thoughts, Coverdale can't cut it anymore. Glenn Hughes is a freak! how can he sing the way he does? He is defing time.....

Replacing Ian Pace, It would have to be somebody who is not a straight ahead Rock drummer (most 80's drummers. I think Rod Morgensteen would be a good choice.

Ian is more of a 60's jazz rock drummer, i.e. Mitch Mitchell. To bad Ian wouldn't just do the shows.

Some wood for the fire...

Exclusive: Gillan Speaks Out About Purple Mk III

“Glenn Hughes is one of the most naturally talented musicians but he’s still copying Steve Wonder to this day”, says Ian Gillan.

In an interview in the latest issue of Classic Rock magazine, Deep Purple singer Ian Gillan reveals he has “no interest” in the Mk III line-up of the band – and he doesn’t particularly rate Mk IV, either. All of this comes after last week Lars Ulrich spoke about joining Deep Purple if they were to do a reunion show and Jon Lord commented on Ulrich’s statement.

After Gillan resigned from Purple, signalling the end of the Mk II version of the group, he was replaced by David Coverdale in 1973.

In further line-up shift, bassist Roger Glover, another mainstay of Purple Mk II, was succeeded by Glenn Hughes. Guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, drummer Ian Paice and keyboard player Jon Lord completed the Mk III line-up. Purple Mk III issued two studio albums, both in 1974: Burn and Stormbringer.

Gillan said: “I’ve never listened to any of Purple Mk III’s records. What are they called? Burn and… Strongbow (Strongbow is English cider, for our cousins overseas), is it?”

“I’ve got no interest in them,” he continued. “It’s like seeing your girlfriend with another guy.”

Gillan added: “As for Mk IV [when American guitarist, the late Tommy Bolin, replaced Ritchie Blackmore), I listened to their Come Taste The Band album [1975] and that wasn’t really Purple in my book.

“I’ve got no problems with the performances, I just don’t think it’s Deep Purple at all.

“Glenn Hughes is one of the most naturally talented musicians but he’s still copying Steve Wonder to this day, so I can’t call him a bona fide member of Deep Purple.”

“The Mk III and IV line-ups were full of talent, but you know you can spend £100 million on football players and you won’t necessarily get a good team.”

Gillan, of course, now sings in the Mk VIII version of Purple alongside Glover, guitarist Steve Morse, drummer Ian Paice and keyboard player Don Airey.

Interesting thread. My thoughts, Coverdale can't cut it anymore. Glenn Hughes is a freak! how can he sing the way he does? He is defing time.....

Replacing Ian Pace, It would have to be somebody who is not a straight ahead Rock drummer (most 80's drummers. I think Rod Morgensteen would be a good choice.

Ian is more of a 60's jazz rock drummer, i.e. Mitch Mitchell. To bad Ian wouldn't just do the shows.

Yes, Hughes voice is freakish - how on earth does he still sound so damned good? It's crazy.

Some wood for the fire...

Gillan's "Stevie Wonder" comments are not undeserved. However, to some degree, most singers are indeed 'copying' someone else - it's practically unavoidable. Hughes does indeed sound like Stevie at times, but not ALL the time. In fact, he employs a number of "different voices".
The "Stevie" thing stands out due to the fact that almost no one else has been able to replicate him....Hughes being an exception to that.

So, yes, Ian makes fair points about that but, at the end of the day, that "era" of Deep Purple is remarkable....just great stuff! And, let's face it, Coverdale sang 80% of the time anyway!

Gillan's "Stevie Wonder" comments are not undeserved. However, to some degree, most singers are indeed 'copying' someone else - it's practically unavoidable. Hughes does indeed sound like Stevie at times, but not ALL the time. In fact, he employs a number of "different voices".
The "Stevie" thing stands out due to the fact that almost no one else has been able to replicate him....Hughes being an exception to that.

So, yes, Ian makes fair points about that but, at the end of the day, that "era" of Deep Purple is remarkable....just great stuff! And, let's face it, Coverdale sang 80% of the time anyway!

Sounds like Ian & Glenn aren't exactly best buds

Personally I don't like Stevie Wonder at all, but I don't think Glenn Hughes sound like him and like many have said he keeps his voice in a remarkable state after all this years, more than Coverdale IMO. Even Gillan doesn't hit the high notes as he used to.

Just a bit of food for thought. One thing that have always pissed me a bit about DP and other bands. When Gillan left for the first time (or was kicked, whatever) and the Mk.III came out they made two great albums, not to mention what the Mk.IV have done. When the Mk.II reunited in 1984 I;m sure and I'm sure that still to this day that Gillan never sing a song from those eras, but both the Mk.III and the Mk.IV had to play Gillan era songs isn't it?
I think that a vocalist must acknowledge the fact that if the band kept on working after his/her separation and then the person returns (months or years afterward), material from another singer (or singers) was composed and recorded and thus you have to deal with the fact that the fans MAY expect that material live as well. You cannot be a prima donna for life.