cover songs

metal_thrashing_kansan

guitarchitect
Dec 6, 2005
midwest
This occured to me as a topic when I was bored off my ass at work lsat night. What are some of the cover songs ya'll have heard your fave bands play live? I have heard Pantera do a Venom song, and Cat Scratch Fever, Metallica do Not Fragile (BTO) and that was awesome. Fear Factory did Cars with System of a Down singer (dont know his name, not that big of a fan). I saw Phil sing with Morbid Angel and Anthrax (only). Soulfly did Roots, Bloody Roots, but does that count as a "cover" since Max wrote it?? Not much else, I have seen quite a few bands, but most of them didnt do any covers.:headbang:

Mr Bungle, "Super Mario Bros." theme and the underground theme, as well as "Welcome Back" in English and Spanish. I didn't witness it, but I've heard a bootleg.

mr bungle - what the world needs now

they opened with it at the astoria(london) in 99 .....bungle come out with patton in full LA SWAT gear and cover that, t'was amazing .....made the hairs on my neck stand up, that type of deal...the best opener to a gig ever !!! actually, during it some twat threw an unopened beercan at patton, it clocked him right on the arm, looked like it smarted to me, but patton just smiled wagged his finger in a teacher-y kinda way never at any point breaking from singing what the world needs now, the guy is pure class........

anthrax - whiplash ( well a qtr of it anyway ;) .....

papa roach ( dont ask why i was there, it sucked) - gentle art of making enemies, man that was an eye opner, didnt want to be at that gig and when they played fnm,i think i must have been one of about ten people that knew it, i fet super old for a while but then i just i felt bad for the kids who were going crazy to paparoach and yet didnt have a clue on the brilliance of fnm, s'only 10 years ago

sepultura - loads !! they do at least one cover nearly every gig they play

geez i cant remember half the covers or who they were by ....too......many.......gigs....... with my memory i have done wll with the above :)

I have seen the following bands play
Deftones-"Subliminal" S.T.
Weedeater-"Gimme Me Back My Bullets" Lynyrd Skynyrd
Pantera- "Cat Scratch Fever" the Nuge and "Planet Caravan" Sabbath
Tool-"Stranglehold" w/Buzz Osborne from the Melvins and "No Quarter" by Zeppelin
Fear Factory-"Cars" Gary Numan
Sepultura-"War" Bob Marley
Mr. Bungle-"Still Not A Player" Big Pun(it was the day Big Pun died) and also "Give it Away" by RHCP. Both were two different shows but they were totally goofing on both Pun and they absolutely destroyed RHCP at the Halloween show....I have never seen a band who hated another band like Bungle does with the Peppers. It was more of a comedy show than a concert. I wish I had pictures of the show of Bungle dressed up like different members of the RHCP. They even had the "ghost" of Hillel Slovack and the "ghost" of River Phoniex. It was TOO funny.

I know there are alot more but I can't think of all my concert experiences at once. There are just to many

Some memorable ones I've seen:
Fantomas did " A whole lot of Love" Al Green. That is so awesome.
Alice Cooper did "Saturday Nights alright for Fighting" Elton John
System of a Down did " Sultans of Swing" Dire Straights

soulfly doing "orgasmatron" by motorhead was pretty cool

al di'meola doing the riff of "day tripper" in the middle of a blazing jazz fusion thing was bizzare to say the least.

metallica w/danzig doing last caress/green hell and london dungeon was awesome.

the fabulous thunderbirds doing "i can't quit you babe" and destroying the zeppelin version was cool.

stevie ray vaughn doing "voodoo chile" ripped my face off. i was in about the 5th row for that one.

Since we're talking about our favorite bands I'll mention my personal faves - COLOSSICK. I've seen them cover Motorheads 'Ace of Spades', Sepulturas 'Territory', Prongs 'Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck' and Sabbaths 'Symptom of the Universe' just to name a few.

They break out 2 covers a show and they don't fuck around.

I've damn near talked them into Playing 'ONLY'...they might break it out their next show they play with Byzantine. If they do, my ass is on vocals. Believe that shit.