Coverdale on Led Zeppelin

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=111033

DAVID COVERDALE Thinks LED ZEPPELIN Should Record New Album With Guest Vocalists - Dec. 17, 2008

According to The Pulse of Radio, David Coverdale says he told Jimmy Page to back off on trying to reunite LED ZEPPELIN for a world tour and record a band album with superstar guest vocalists. Coverdale, who teamed up with Page for the short-lived 1993 COVERDALE-PAGE album and tour, explained to Uncut, "My suggestion to him when I saw him in the summer was to do what Carlos Santana did with 'Supernatural'. Get a selection of people in, because there's no question John Paul Jones writes fucking kick-ass music. I said Joe Elliott and me would come in and do a track rather than the focus be on one person."

He went on to say, "Will people be willing to see three-quarters of the family with a guest — a cousin twice removed? I'm as curious as anyone to see how it works out... Change is good as long as you fucking deliver. I hope it comes together for him because, Jesus, he deserves it."

Coverdale says that his most cherished collaboration was his 1993 team-up with Page, which led him to rethink how he chooses guitarists. "When I worked with Jimmy Page, that was totally inspiring for me, and you can hear that on the COVERDALE-PAGE album," he said. "And that was a great parameter for me to look at. The only people I would be prepared to work with are ones who would, who I'd feel could drive me, inspire me to go for notes I've never gone for before."

COVERDALE-PAGE performing LED ZEPPELIN's "Black Dog":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndnBVty054A&eurl=http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=111033

Hmmm, I'm usually all for such projects ('replacement' members, etc). But Zep is the holy grail of heavy music.....they didn't soil their legacy after Bonzo passed by continuing on with a lesser replacement and they surely can no attempt that now. Lets just forget it already!

PS....the Page/Coverdale album is a 9/10...a 90s masterpiece....just great!

Change is good as long as you fucking deliver.

Well, Coverdale pretty much nailed it there. And anyway, any new music is a good thing IMO; if you don't like just don't listen to it. Couldn't care less about the name but I know a lot of people can't get over it. Just look at the new GnR and Queen + Paul Rodgers albums. People whine and moan about the name and completely fail to see the great music.

"John Paul Jones writes fucking kick-ass music" Jimmy always got more credit then he deserved. JPJ songs are easy to pick out, Either there is keyboards i.e. "No Quarter" or a bass line i.e. "Heart Breaker" Nice to see somebody DC give him his due...........

I like the live album the Black Crows did with Jimmy Page, a lot! I think David Coverdale would like to see himself as the replacement of Robert Plant.

People whine and moan about the name and completely fail to see the great music.

That's a completely valid point (look what is happening with Tank), but for some (including me) find difficult to cope with a band that kept the name but basically changed the entire line-up, is like loosing a part of the essence. I rather prefer when they make a smart move like Death Angel did when Osegueda left and they became The Organization or Black Sabbath that decided to go as Heaven And Hell instead of battling with Ozzy (read Sharon) for the rights. But of course you're right the music is the keypoint and if you don't like the situation just don't listen to it.

I like the live album the Black Crows did with Jimmy Page, a lot! I think David Coverdale would like to see himself as the replacement of Robert Plant.

I think you're right... Coverdale / Page II.

Maybe they'll sign the ultimate bullpen vocalist... Ripper Owens!
He can hit those high notes from the early Zep days that Robert can't hit anymore! :lol:

Maybe they'll sign the ultimate bullpen vocalist... Ripper Owens!
He can hit those high notes from the early Zep days that Robert can't hit anymore! :lol:

a) That was cruel!
b) Owens is already commited with Yngwie Malmsteen, so basically the band have a better guitar and a better singer than Led Zeppelin :p *running for cover*

Led Zeppelin without Plant isn´t Led Zep.

Besides, come on men. Have you listened Coverdale live in 2008? He´s one of my favourite singers eve but nowadays is voice is over! The worst show´s I´ve seen in 2008 were Whitesnake and Def Leppard at Graspop Metal Meeting. I almost cried listening Coverdale that day.

I like the C/P album... can't really envision them going that route again though.

Me neither.

Led Zeppelin without Plant isn´t Led Zep.

Besides, come on men. Have you listened Coverdale live in 2008? He´s one of my favourite singers eve but nowadays is voice is over! The worst show´s I´ve seen in 2008 were Whitesnake and Def Leppard at Graspop Metal Meeting. I almost cried listening Coverdale that day.

I was at Graspop 2008 also and I have to agree with you. Coverdale just did not cut it that day. I was positively surprised by Kiss. They gave a very good show. And that's coming from someone who decided he did not like Kiss back in 1977. :)