Crap PCB mounted outputs on studio gear.

shred101

Nov 26, 2009
Has anyone noticed the amount of shitty mounting work that comes with some studio gear? Im talking about, specifically, 1/4" sockets that are soldered to a PCB and then simply poke through the main unit cover without securing nuts or anything of that kind. I own a Zoom RT323 drum machine and the jack sockets are mounted on the PCB and just poke through holes in the back panel without any kind of securing nut so the PCB/Jack mountings take all the strain of cables moving about etc. I recently had the jacks resoldered onto the PCB because they were in such a shitty state. Has anyone else had this problem with terminals mounted on a PCB without any kind of securing nut/strain relief?

That's typical chinese cost-reduction at work. Panel mounted jack is $0.64, regular is $0.60. Easy choice. Quality control consists of fix it only when the customer REALLY complains.

Consequently, my nuts are always straining for relief.

Quality control consists of fix it only when the customer REALLY complains.

Being a QA manager myself, I can 2nd that ;)

Its not that we don't WANT to have things changed for the better, its just the internal, eternal war between QA and Production always results in Production winning cause they have the backing of upper management who are 99% profit driven.

Why do you expect quality from a Zoom unit, and why are you referencing it in a thread about "studio gear"?

:lol::lol::lol:

You realize you're basically slagging off Steve Vai, George Lynch, Anthrax, Joe Satriani and countless other pro musicians choise of gear. Boof! Headshot. :p

Meh, fuck it. Learn how to solder and fix it yourself.

Yeah thats basically what I plan to do... Im wank with PCBs though, need to get some old fucked PC cards and practice on them or something.

Yeah right one solder fix maybe ok but 2nd and then pcb starts to rot in your hands .
The first time you fix it dont just fix it upgrade the socket with something that can be secured with a nut and washer ,preferably with a nut on each side of the panel.

You realize you're basically slagging off Steve Vai, George Lynch, Anthrax, Joe Satriani and countless other pro musicians choise of gear. Boof! Headshot. :p

Studio gear, not fretboard masturbation gear.
STUDIO GEAR
that thing that musicians don't understand in the slightest?