Crap Performance on a 9800 pro, any clues?

Misanthrope

Latin, NOT Mexican.
Oct 11, 2001
My House.
www.i-mockery.com
I got an athlon 2800+ 512 ddr 2700 ram, ati (brand too) 9800 pro 128mb version ( but the 256bit, the nice one) and im getting horrible performance specially on OS-Dawn. It appears to have smooth framerate but when there's too much going on i skip frames, if i try to turn to fast with the mouse it freezes up, its generally pretty annoying. I tried lowering every setting to normal or high ( even knowning this card and system is supposed to do a lot better ) and im only doing 1024res no antialasing or antisothropic filtering.

Is it because of the new 4.8 catalyst drivers? Because of the latest UT2k4 patch? Bad copy? Need nocd patch? what the fuck is it!

I have more or less the same setup, and sometimes my FPS gets as low as 9 or 10 when lots is happening, especially in Frostbite. I don't know what it is about that map, but it just kills my framerate. There's a chance there isn't anything particularly wrong with your computer/copy of the game, it's just a big resource hog that doesn't seem to be as optimized as it could be. Things like disabling the precaching of all skins and text to speech are supposed to show mild improvements, but in the end it just doesn't seem to run as well as it should.

You got AA/AF on? Downloaded the latest drivers? Patched UT?

I have zero problems and the only thing I have that you don't is more RAM :err:

Yes i have latest patch and tried 4 differend video drivers.

Actually i found the problem. Its was rather misleading too: The game wasnt lagging, the mouse was. After i saw some posts about mouse problems i noticed that while on a vehicule i could keep going and do stuff very very smooth only the camera locked on a position for 2 seconds then it catched up, creating a short of "framedrop" effect unless you really put atention.

I tried a lot of things and after removing the voice to speech stuff the game installs it worked like a charm. Well not exactly a charm but im at 1024 running everything on high ( the stuff that goes up to very high and beyond i keep at just high too ) and everything on and i get 40-60 fps on most onslaught maps online and offline, deathmach just flies at 80-120fps.

Misanthrope said:
i noticed that while on a vehicule i could keep going and do stuff very very smooth only the camera locked on a position for 2 seconds then it catched up, creating a short of "framedrop" effect unless you really put atention.
Usually this is the result of packet loss.

btw, uncheck "preload player skins" under settings if you want to improve loading times.