CRIMSON GLORY 2011 tour dates

Frode

Oct 6, 2004
Following the success of their first US performance with new lead vocalist Todd La Torre, Crimson Glory is heading overseas for their upcoming 25th anniversary.

Their European tour schedule for Spring 2011 is as follows:

April 27 – Eindhoven, Netherlands – Dynamo

April 28 – Zoetermeer, Netherlands – Boerderij

April 29 – Enschede, Netherlands – Atak

April 30 – Lauda/Königshofen, Germany – Keep It True

May 2 – Pratteln, Switzerland – Konzertfabrik Z7

May 3 – Milan, Italy – Alcatraz

May 4 – Memmingen, Germany – Kaminwerk

May 6 – Haugesund, Norway – Karmøygeddon

May 7 – Essen, Germany – Turock

May 8 – Genk, Belgium – Rondpunt 26

July 15 – Balingen, Germany – Bang Your Head

Among the tour dates listed are a selection of notable festivals, including Keep It True in Germany and Karmoygeddon in Norway. Crimson Glory will also be performing at the Dynamo in Eindhoven, where the band played their first-ever show in Europe 25 years ago.

"We are very excited about the opportunity to perform in front of our many loyal friends and supporters over in Europe, as well as for our new fans and friends, on the 25th anniversary of Crimson Glory. Playing in front of our diehard German metal heads at the Keep It True festival will be a real honor for us, as will playing at the Karmoygeddon Festival in Norway. We have never performed in Norway before, or in Scandinavia for that matter, and we are honored and excited to finally meet our Norwegian following at such an event," says lead guitarist Jon Drenning. "We're eager to play Italy again as well; the fans there have always been some of our most wonderful and enthusiastic."

"Playing for our long-time fans in Belgium and the Netherlands is something we're also very excited about," Drenning continues. "The Dynamo in Eindhoven, Holland, has a very special place in our hearts, as it was the first show and venue we ever played in Europe. I remember it well because we performed on the day our first album was released to the general public. So it will be great to perform again at the Dynamo (and maybe play a game or two of spikes!) The Dutch have always been so wonderful to us, and they helped us get off to a great start."

When asked about whether the band had plans to perform wearing their iconic silver masks, Drenning hinted at the possibility of their return:

"We have discussed the idea of wearing the masks for a select group of shows at times during our anniversary year, as we've been approached by some promoters who would seriously desire to see it; I'm sure the fans would too. All I can say is that if the stars align, we would be open to doing it."

Drenning also shared his excitement for the unveiling of their new front man:

"We can't wait for our fans to see and hear Todd La Torre live, as he's every bit as impressive onstage as he is in the studio. He brings a tremendous amount of passion and emotion to our songs, as Midnight did, and originally intended them to be."

La Torre is probably more anxious than anyone else to hit the stage and meet the fans, and had this to say about performing with Crimson Glory this Spring:

"I am very excited to be sharing the stage with my fellow band mates, as well as performing many of the classic songs from the first two albums. I am honored and truly touched by the overwhelming embrace of the fans since officially joining the band on July, 10th, 2010. As the newest addition to the original line up, I am especially pleased to be celebrating the 25th anniversary of the band along with all our supporters: the worldwide Crimson Militia; without you, there would be no us. See you next year!"

Per Claus, this band must be a failure.
They are playing KEEP IT TRUE which is a non-respected festival, attended by the same 1500 fans every year.

*GASP* They are only as popular now as Manilla Road!!!!! :lol:

You guys better erase their name as ever having played Prog Power.

Per Claus, this band must be a failure.
They are playing KEEP IT TRUE which is a non-respected festival, attended by the same 1500 fans every year.

Did I ever say anything to that extend? Nope.

What I did say was:
"The only festival of any reputable size that I could see place Manilla Road high up would be Keep It True which is an old school festival with the same 1500 people showing up each year - hardly an important festival"

I never said ANYTHING about the band being a failure for playing that festival, did I?

In fact I said the festival is of "reputable size". Compared to the Wacken's, the Sweden Rock's, etc it is not an "important" festival though. Ask anyone in Europe and they'll tell you that.

c.

The Bang Your Head Festival always interest me. They have such a diverse line up always. You get stuff like Unleashed and Amon Amarth to Praying Mantis to Skid Row. Interesting mix.

So, it's like Prog Power but with more people?:cool:

Did I ever say anything to that extend? Nope.

What I did say was:
"The only festival of any reputable size that I could see place Manilla Road high up would be Keep It True which is an old school festival with the same 1500 people showing up each year - hardly an important festival"

I never said ANYTHING about the band being a failure for playing that festival, did I?

In fact I said the festival is of "reputable size". Compared to the Wacken's, the Sweden Rock's, etc it is not an "important" festival though. Ask anyone in Europe and they'll tell you that.

c.

So, it's like Prog Power but with more people?:cool:

Right.
Except of course in Europe there are 10 festivals per city to compete with ...

Let's be realistic here - most of the festivals in Europe that have a name, (like Wacken, Sweden Rock, Rock Hard, Bang Your Head, etc), draws 10-50.000 people each year. By US standards, "KIT" is a good sized festival, but in Europe it's one in many. Not saying it's not a great festival, cause it is - but in terms of size and reputation it's not Wacken, it's not Sweden Rock, etc ...

c.

I agree with Claus on this just seeing it the way it is. I so want to go to Keep It True, my kind of fest, my people, but it certainly is not big simply watch the DVDs and see that. It is basically the size of Progpower, difference is Progpower has a much better presentation. Then again what KIT does totally works for that kind of metal, bands, and fans.
Oh as for Crimson Glory demoted to the size for Manilla Road, well in all honest they were never that popular to being with. Yes I'm well aware of the little magazine coverage they had, video, tour, and the labels still there were many others running head to head with Crimson Glory. Then we can't forget that stretch of time they were forgotten about it even through the release of 'Astronomica'

The Bang Your Head Festival always interest me. They have such a diverse line up always. You get stuff like Unleashed and Amon Amarth to Praying Mantis to Skid Row. Interesting mix.

Bang Your Head is an absolute blast. Manageable size with usually a good mix of bands and it's in walking distance from this quaint village with shops, hotels, restaurants, public transportation etc. There's camping for the sleep and hygiene indifferent. I've been keeping my eye on their lineups just looking for a chance to go back. Maybe this year.

Oh as for Crimson Glory demoted to the size for Manilla Road, well in all honest they were never that popular to being with. Yes I'm well aware of the little magazine coverage they had, video, tour, and the labels still there were many others running head to head with Crimson Glory. Then we can't forget that stretch of time they were forgotten about it even through the release of 'Astronomica'

It's always seemed to me from what I've read and heard that they were one of those band's bands. So many countless bands have mentioned them as huge inspirations and such, but I think on a fanbase level, they never really had a big fanbase.

I have seen just as many, actually more bands mention Manilla Road as a influence.
I don't want to take anything away from Crimson Glory, one of my favorite bands but I can see it in perspective. The first year Midnight was at Progpower was a perfect exsample of the bands populaeity. Granted there were some people who kknew who he was and Crimson Glory, but most had no clue and would not care until a couple of years later. It would have worked the same way if it was Mark Shelton and Manilla Road.
Now I will say looking back through old metal mags I see more Crimson Glory mentions than Manilla Road, actually never seen a mention of Manilla Road in any magazine. But that in itself say a hell of a lot about a band that as been able to build such a massive and strong cult following without press coverage like Manilla Road has. That reason alone would set them apart from Crimson Glory.
But why compare the two bands they are really like apples and oranges.

I have seen just as many, actually more bands mention Manilla Road as a influence.
I don't want to take anything away from Crimson Glory, one of my favorite bands but I can see it in perspective. The first year Midnight was at Progpower was a perfect exsample of the bands populaeity. Granted there were some people who kknew who he was and Crimson Glory, but most had no clue and would not care until a couple of years later. It would have worked the same way if it was Mark Shelton and Manilla Road.
Now I will say looking back through old metal mags I see more Crimson Glory mentions than Manilla Road, actually never seen a mention of Manilla Road in any magazine. But that in itself say a hell of a lot about a band that as been able to build such a massive and strong cult following without press coverage like Manilla Road has. That reason alone would set them apart from Crimson Glory.
But why compare the two bands they are really like apples and oranges.

Oops! Forgot to mention in my post I wasn't actually comparing the bands at all, just saying more of what it seems Crimson Glory was.

Wow, I am super stoked about this announcement! We are just now planning a family trip to Norway/Sweden and maybe Germany in this exact timeframe. I might actually be able to go to one of these!

CG is one of the few remaining bands on my bucket list.

I'm glad that Crimson Glory is playing with an awesome new singer, but why don't they focus on making some new music? It's been eleven years since the release of "Astronomica," and Drenning's been talking about another album since the band reunited with Midnight. What's holding them up?

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Um, did you hear what happened last ti,me their was "new music"?... Ok wasn't a fan of Astronomica.
Well it could be seen as milking the Midnight death for all it's worth and getting all they can from the little bit of hype going on. Or maybe a band in gthis cashes in and gets what they can from a situation because they may realize the unit may not stay together long enough to get a new album.
Speaking of Keep It True they have a lot of bands in very similar situations play that festival. Bands who have no new material and may just come together for a couple of gigs meanwhile they all hint to the band putting out another album.
I'm not saying these are the issue but we have all seen the same situations with other bands time and time again.
I hope there is a new album and I hope it is much better than the last. I also hope this next one is not an attempt to recapture transcendence. But from everything seen so far that is a very good possibility that it will be Astronomica II (the attempt to make Transcendence again a Second Time)

I'm actually a big fan of "Astronomica." Seeing as how I was only seven years old when "Transcendence" was released, my first exposure to Crimson Glory was "Astronomica." I really dug it upon first listen. Of course, I fell in love with the first two albums once I went backwards into their catalog, but it didn't make me love "Astronomica" any less. I kind of liken it to Judas Priest's "Jugulator;" an album that shows a more aggressive side of the band while staying true enough to the band's original sound.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I hope there is a new album and I hope it is much better than the last. I also hope this next one is not an attempt to recapture transcendence. But from everything seen so far that is a very good possibility that it will be Astronomica II (the attempt to make Transcendence again a Second Time)

Interesting point of view, because "Strange And Beautiful" was where they did not try to recapture Transcendence, and they had to take a lot of shit for releasing that one (which is really an underrated album IMHO).

About the cash in comments, I am not going to say much about the financial stuff here - but there is no way this is a "big" cash in. This is done to honour Midnight as well as move the band forward because they have found a new singer who is able to recreate the magic as well as take the band to the next step. Flipping burgers would probably make the members more money per hour if you consider the time the band needs to rehearse and prepare for this. Please save the negativity (to people in general, not directed to J.Golden) for bands that re-release their new album three months after the initial release as tour edition with bonus material etc. That's what I call cash in!

Interesting point of view, because "Strange And Beautiful" was where they did not try to recapture Transcendence, and they had to take a lot of shit for releasing that one (which is really an underrated album IMHO).

About the cash in comments, I am not going to say much about the financial stuff here - but there is no way this is a "big" cash in. This is done to honour Midnight as well as move the band forward because they have found a new singer who is able to recreate the magic as well as take the band to the next step. Flipping burgers would probably make the members more money per hour if you consider the time the band needs to rehearse and prepare for this. Please save the negativity (to people in general, not directed to J.Golden) for bands that re-release their new album three months after the initial release as tour edition with bonus material etc. That's what I call cash in!

I did not mean "cashing in" as an attempt to grab the money that is in waiting, I'm sure there is none to be had. I jsut hope it is not a situation where Midnight's name and the ppast is constantly used to "move the band forward". Come on still using a Transcendence backdrop over 20 years later...
I agree that 'Strange and Beautiful' is an EXTREMELY underrated album. The problem that album faced, well actually two problems; what it followed up and the timing of it's release. Fans expected another Queensryche sounding power metal album. And at the time it was released rather the band was "selling out" or not hair bands were starting to fade quickly. Though right there in the early 90s we saw a handful of hair bands with a more alternative sound like The Front and Siagon Kick, I think 'Strange and Beautiful' fit in with those. I think that album was such a solid offering and I will spork fight anyone who disagrees. HAHA
Something interesting is to watch press interviews and read stuff from around the time of that album and compare it to interviews years later, how some of the band members views on it change are kind of funny.

Hopefully the band will put together at least a small run of US dates to remind the fans here that they're still alive.

And I LOVE Strange and Beautiful. If you look at it on its own merits, and not in contrast to the first two albums, I think it is a very strong album. Astronomica on the other hand...