Crisis - Like Sheep Led to Slaughter

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Crisis - Like Sheep Led to Slaughter
The End Records - 2004
By Adam McAuley

crisis.jpg

It's extremely unfortunate that Like Sheep Led to Slaughter is only my first exposure to this indescribable outfit. It is a work of art and being as such requires attention and multiple listens to truly appreciate. Don't expect it to completely floor you upon initial listen, or perhaps even ever. What Crisis have given is entirely subjective, but for those that do manage to get into it, expect bountiful rewards.

The band’s biggest draw is the female vocalist, Karyn Crisis. She has an absolutely incredible range of vocal abilities, rivalling even the king himself, Mike Patton. Karyn has an uncanny talent of sounding like a man OR a woman, something very few people possess. She shrieks, speaks, growls and screams with equal effectiveness on Sheep and it always gels perfectly with everything else going on at the same time. This could, of course, also be a major drawback, because her extremity might make it difficult for people to get into the band. Lyrics are violent and raw, but perfectly fit in with Crisis’ overall vision.

The rest of the outfit play an arty take on metalcore that may require multiple listens to fully come to terms with. It's abrasive, progressive, irregular, dissonant, doomy, busy and brutal. A balance is always maintained, however...the band never appear to drift into the realms of overindulgence, and always keep things cohesive and comprehendible. Still, expect a very difficult listen. None of the instruments stand above the others and are worthy of special merit; they all merge together to form something greater as a whole. "A Graveyard for Bitches", "Nomad" and the epic "Secrets of the Prison House" are my favorite tracks on an album full of highlights that will get under your skin.

If you're looking for a challenge, look no further. I've seen mention that their back catalogue is equally worthy of inspection, something I myself will certainly look into fully in the near future. Like Sheep Led to Slaughter is nothing short of an ambitious masterpiece, and it will be hard pressed for someone to surpass it in the remainder of the year. My favorite release of 2004 thus far.

9.3/10

Official Crisis website
Official The End Records website

Yeah, taint a bad album if I do say so myself. She's a woMAN.

Godly band. Very fucking original and tightness to match...this aint for the fugitive adolescence of today. Good luck finding a better band!