Criss Oliva...13 Years Ago Today...Do You Remeber???

SavaDude

Futures End Cheese Grater
Aug 28, 2006
www.myspace.com
Do you remember where YOU were when you heard that Criss Oliva was tragically taken from us in a car crash?
I had just moved to Las Vegas and was getting to know people. I had been invited to a pre-Haloween kegger party. I was there with a good friend and fellow brother in Savatage and we had just started a fine evening of hard drinkin.
Back then there was an ass kicking metal station in Vegas, KOMP. I am convinced that they were one of the last major market stations in the country playing metal at that time. The host of the party had KOMP smokin in the background at the party. Freddy Woods came on the air and announced that Criss had been killed by a drunk driver in a head on crash. My friend Bobby and I looked at each other for a long moment, disbelieving what we heard. I called the station immediately and Freddy Woods confirmed what I was hoping was a mistake...
I told Freddy that we were long time fans and would appreciate a dedication to Criss on the air. He obliged, playing every reqest we had sent him. .He played Summers Rain for us...He played Gutter Ballet for us...He played Hall of The Mountain King, Sirens, 24 Hours Ago, City Beneath the Surface....At this point my memory is very clear...blurred by tears, but clear nonetheless...Bobby and I spent the evening drinking and listening to the immortal notes of the master...and we cried a bit...and we told stories of seeing Criss play...and of meeting him....and of loving his music.

As I sit here, drinking my Killians Red, and listening to Criss play the AMAZING solo in Summers Rain again, I raise my glass to Criss, to his family, to Savatage, and the millions of fans that loved him and miss him.
To you, my old friend, may your music live on forever.

Christian

I don't remember the moment I heard of his death, but I saw him live several times and even met him and got an autograph. Once his brother handed me a sealed wine cooler bottle when I was too young to drink. I never opened it and still might have it in a box somewhere.

SavaDude said:
Back then there was an ass kicking metal station in Vegas, KOMP. I am convinced that they were one of the last major market stations in the country playing metal at that time.

KOMP is still around. I listen to it when I visit my family in Vegas.

About 10 years ago, Pink Floyd announced a tour stop in Las Vegas. About a week later, they cancelled. So KOMP bought one of those big garbage dumpsters, painted it pink and then invited listeners to take a crap in it so they could send it to the band for cancelling the show. :lol: