Criss Oliva material on the new Jon Oliva album?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
This just got posted a few hours ago.

JON OLIVA - "Loyal SAVATAGE Fans Should Be All Over What I'm Doing Right Now With JON OLIVA'S PAIN"

In a recent interview with BW&BK about the new JON OLIVA'S PAIN album, Maniacal Renderings, frontman Jon Oliva discussed the future of SAVATAGE and the band's long awaited next album:

“There’s probably going to be another thing done," says Oliva. "We’re going to plan on trying to do something next summer, but it’s really hard when you’ve got something like Trans-Siberian Orchestra going through the roof in North America with all the guys from Savatage playing in it. What do you do? Do you shoot the goose that laid the golden egg just to keep people happy? Savatage never sold a tenth of the records that TSO has. I’m not going to sit there and say ‘Okay, we’re going to shut TSO down for a year so we can do a Savatage record and sell 50,000 copies.' I’d get laughed out of the building. I remember asking the guys at Atlantic when TSO was taking off about putting another Savatage record together; they looked at me and said ‘Why?’ (laughs).”

“Yes, there are diehard Savatage fans out there and I love them all dearly, but if they really are that loyal they should be all over what I’m doing right now with Jon Oliva’s Pain. I mean, JOP is more like Savatage than Savatage.”

Oliva continues: “This whole thing with people and Savatage, it baffles me. It’s driving me insane. So, I think once people find out there’s some music from (Savatage founding guitarist) Criss (Oliva) on Maniacal Renderings and hear it a little bit they should be very happy with picking it up. The only reason I’m not calling it Savatage is out of respect for the fans. My music is my music and my sound is my sound regardless of what name it comes out under.”

I might have been out of the loop, so anyone care to fill me in on the underlined part?

Cheers!

batmura said:
This just got posted a few hours ago.

I might have been out of the loop, so anyone care to fill me in on the underlined part?

Cheers!

He's got co-writing credits on several songs....just picked the album up yesterday and I love every second of it, has a very old school Savatage flavor to it.

The story I've heard is that the Olivas found some old shoebox with a bunch of tapes containing Criss Oliva material that was never relased. I'm not sure I believe that story is exactly true, but it makes sense that Jon might have been sitting on some Criss stuff, to be used and released on a future project (like this one).

Mountain King said:
He's got co-writing credits on several songs....just picked the album up yesterday and I love every second of it, has a very old school Savatage flavor to it.
Does he "play" too or is it played by the current members? How's it sound? Any Gutter Ballet/Streets thing going on? Also, are those songs with Criss properly mentioned in the booklet? How many?

My copy is on its way to me. Since Ken didn't get it, I had to order it from amazon.de.

Cheers!

batmura said:
Does he "play" too or is it played by the current members? How's it sound? Any Gutter Ballet/Streets thing going on? Also, are those songs with Criss properly mentioned in the booklet? How many?

My copy is on its way to me. Since Ken didn't get it, I had to order it from amazon.de.

Cheers!

No it's his band that plays them. Matt Laporte's style though is very similar to Criss Oliva's style it's scary, even more so than Caffery. He is credited on co-writing 4 of the songs.

The sound is pretty varried from stuff that could be on Sirens, MountainKing, a lot of Gutter/Streets type stuff and even some of it sounds like it could have been stuff on Edge of Thorns. I'm more or less talking about the entire album, not just the Criss stuff.

The story about Jon's wife finding a lost shoe box of Jon/Criss demo tapes is 100% true...and we will definately be using more of these previously unheard riffs from Criss on future JOP records!

\M/

Yup, all true. Jon found some old tapes and started pulling Criss riffs off them to create the new songs. And all true, this is very reminiscent of older Savatage, like PofN thru Streets. Very little latter day Savatage, except maybe for hints of Poets and Madmen.

Also, Jon's love of the Beatles shines through on this album. There are some mellow interludes where you'd think they had Paul McCartney as a guest vocalist!