Critique my mix (Fear Factory Archetype Guitar Cover)

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Hey guys, been a while since I've had time to really practice mixing. Anyway here is the link to it on Soundcloud. I also have it on Google Drive, I'm not sure what the preferred method of sharing mp3s is on these forums nowadays.

There is way too much low end / low mids in the guitars and its making the mix muddy. Overall there are also balancing issues with this mix.

well, it has really too much low end, but it's not that bad, I mean, it sounds good anyway, you can hear all the instruments clearly, maybe I'd up the bass a little and give it more grit (of course I'd boost just the mids), anyway it's the snare that annoys me the most here, both sound and volume wise (letting alone the fact that's a programmed one). the muddyness here could be something done on purpose, so I'm ok with that, just can't stand the snare :D

Thanks for the insight! I realized after listening on better headphones that there was way too much bass as well. I really noticed it when trying to apply a limiter and make it loud, all those low end frequencies were just overwhelming everything. I did a relatively quick remix the other day, let me know if this is any better. I feel like it's much cleaner and headed in the right direction.

There is way too much low end / low mids in the guitars and its making the mix muddy. Overall there are also balancing issues with this mix.
Can you elaborate on the balancing issues? Also check the new mix I just posted and let me know your thoughts. I hi passed the guitars way more to allow the bass to shine and so there's not overwhelming low end. Also hi passed other stuff like kick and toms more.

well, it has really too much low end, but it's not that bad, I mean, it sounds good anyway, you can hear all the instruments clearly, maybe I'd up the bass a little and give it more grit (of course I'd boost just the mids), anyway it's the snare that annoys me the most here, both sound and volume wise (letting alone the fact that's a programmed one). the muddyness here could be something done on purpose, so I'm ok with that, just can't stand the snare :D
Lol yeah I'm still learning. The drums are from a guitar pro file so they are very robotic sounding obviously. But I would like to learn how to craft a better snare sound. I used a different snare in the mix I just posted above.