Critiques on production

Lascaille's Shroud

Synchroneurobonding
May 2, 2011
soundcloud.com
So I am new here, obviously, but nevertheless I have heard this particular forum can be a good place to get decent feedback that will actually help one out for once. So, if you would not mind, I would like to know your opinions on some of my material, how everything sounds, all that stuff. If you think a guitar tone outright sucks, I dont mind hearing it, so long as you add something constructive to it. First song is a tad lengthy, but the second is much shorter and that particular one is instrumental.

http://soundcloud.com/lascailles-shroud/parallel-infinities-4
http://soundcloud.com/lascailles-shroud/revelation-space-death-rebirth

Also I suppose I should mention my recording setup.

Guitar > PODX3 Live > PC/Reaper

The basic input for how I am recording, note though I am not recording my guitar tone with the POD, it is right now just used as an interface. This is the signal chain on my guitar tracks.

LePou SoloC > TSE X30 Sylvania > keFir (Loaded with GuitarHack impulses) > 3 Band EQ

For the solo tones I am currently using Guitar Rig 4. Drums are a 'custom' kit inside Steven Slate Drums.

Hope you guys enjoy, and thanks for any feedback!

EDIT

Youtube if anyone prefers it:

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched the youtube clip. Pretty fuckin' cool. Enjoyed the lyrics too.

Listening on my reference monitors so I can't comment a lot but guitars are slightly harsh in the high mids and muddy in the low mids. The mix is a bit flat (the drums aren't really punchy). Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys, One of my monitors has ceased to function properly so all I have are studio headphones and PC speakers to mix buy so Its always nice to have a fresh set of ears to catch this kind of stuff.

As for the drums not being punchy, what do you recommend? More presence in the kick or snare? Maybe lessening the extent of the EQ or Compression on it?

Anything helps and thanks again!