Cruachan

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
What is the opinion of RCers relating to this folk band? I just finished listening to their four albums. Tuatha Na Gael is an unheralded classic. Not even Waylander's first album comes close. Bran Barr's album is a good follow-up, but TNG eclipses them IMO.

The other three albums are so-so. I like a few songs here and there, but overall, they have no lasting effect on me. I do love the Shane McGowan + Cruachan cover of Spancill Hill, though Geasa's version is cooler (I still await a Scald cover of Spancill Hill, eh Paul? :)

Anyone else like the band, dislike the band, or simply wanna bang the chick in the band?

Other than Erinsong (which is a re-recording) and one or two others, I don't find Pagan to be very engaging. I think FOlk-Lore is the best post-TNG album.

But Erinsong is a moving piece.

I have Bran Barr - I should try listening to it again. If I remember right, the production was horrible.

Re: Cruachan - I only have the Middle Kingdom, and it's never really clicked. I'm not even sure if I still own it - if I do I'll try it again. The Irish have this knack of clicking with me 2 years after owning something. Primordial hit me out of the blue after have owned StEA for ages.

I lke the Bran Barr. The last song on the album rivals any of Finntroll's "drinking" songs. The production is kinda bad, but it's an independent release, so....

Middle Kingdom is OK, nothing special. All fans of black metal or folk should get TNG, though. It is NOTHING like what came after it. After TNG, the black metal vocalist and half the band left or something.

I worship Tuatha. The only other I have is the Middle Kingdom which I like also, even if the style is much different. I've heard Pagan and that one didn't really do much for me. Probably because I was drunk off my ass and started laughing hysterically at that Michael Collins song when they started yelling about the IRA (I didn't understand what they were saying, being drunk off my ass I was, but as you can imagine, rarararararararar-I-R-A!!!!-rararrararararr)

I haven't heard Folklore.

Michael Collins, the song, is gay. The dude might have also liked boys, I don't know.

Tuatha rules so much, though.

I know 'Gugs loved it and used to make butt-sniffing sex to it.

GREAT NEWS:

As of today Cruachan have parted ways with Karmageddon Media. The split was amicable amongst us both and we have left on very good terms. As a parting act of good will we will do one last release with Karmageddon Media, a re-release of our 1994 "Celtica" demo including some un-released tracks including "Timmy" which we have played at quite a few Cruachan shows. We wish Karmageddon Media our best wishes for the future.

----------------------

The Celtica demo shares a bunch of songs with Tuatha Na Gael as well as some others that weren't included in the full-length. In other words, more songs in the TNG vein! Can I get a what-what, my niggas?

Good band, but I never cared much for their albums. Too much Irish pub, too little Irish bad temper. Primordial and Geasa are in another league altogether, but then again you can't really draw a comparison...

ya, I love Primordial and Geasa. but I don't hear any of the pub music in Cruachan's debut. It's just pure folk black metal.