Crusader!

D

Destiny

Yesterday I listened to Crusader for the first time in a VERY long time, and it struck me that this isn´t a bad record at all. Most people only fancy the titletrack (at least a little bit... :) , but if you take the time, there´s plenty of good songs: Sailing to America and Do it all for you, softer tunes, both with a great intro and chorus, then there´s catchy rockers like Just let me rock, Rock City and Run for your lives.

The guitarwork is as good as ever, not to mention the production. As a matter of fact Crusader feels very stable and balanced if you look at the music-climate during the timeperiod for the release of the record. It kinda anticipates the more melodic/commercial phase Saxon fully went through from Innocence to Destiny, and, this is also what makes Crusader such an interresting album: The songs have a commercial touch yes, but they´re still marked with the unique Saxon sound, thus creating a quite unusual mixture of american orientated early 80´s metal and british boogie/heavy rock.

On top of this it is interresting to notice the very different styles between the titletune and the rest of the songs: Crusader is very anglo-saxon metal, while the rest of the songs are more american orientated and less metal. Not the most obvious combination, but pretty cool though.

And, one more thing... it´s not every day you hear Biff Byford singing "I´ll do anything for you baby" :)

So, fellow Saxon-fans, time for revaluation?

I couldn't have said it better myself well put, yes it is truly a great CD caught them on this tour and if memory servces me right it was a hell of a show. Soon be added to my collection.

This has always been my favorite album, maybe because it's one of the first I heard, but personally, I just love all the songs on it. Great riffs, production, & Biff's voice always was just unique & very British (not just the accent, but the overall tone of his voice). JUST LET ME ROCK!

Yep I could never see peoples problem with Crusader either. Its a great album. I got the remastered version the other day and it is definatly a cracking album. A little bit of what you fancy is a real belter.
Sailing to America is also a great track. It might be a bit more mellow than some of the earlir albums but it still has quality song writing on it.

Crusader was the first Saxon album I ever owned. It has a special place in my heart. But recently I aquired Innocense Is No Excuse and Rock The Nations. Both those albums blow Crusader away.