\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/
Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Cryptopsy - The Unspoken King
Century Media - - 26 May 2008
By Paddy Walsh

cuk.jpg

The return of Lord Worm to the Cryptopsy fold for 05's Once Was Not should have been a triumphant return to the highs of the brilliantly malignant malevolence of None So Vile. However, a phoned-in vocal performance coupled with some rather tepid songwriting resulted in the group's least inspiring work to date. Lord Worm's obvious ambivalence towards the task saw his reappearance as a disappointing nostalgia trip, sullying the band's name worse than anything the much-maligned Mike DiSalvo put his vocal chords to. Yet, the biggest problem with Cryptopsy's latter-day material has had less to do with vocalists than an increasing reliance on technicality - Flo Mournier's always jaw-dropping blasting speed in particular - over songwriting. Not once since None So Vile have we been treated to anything to match the likes of 'Phobophile', 'Crown of Horns' or 'Slit Your Guts'. The Unspoken King - featuring new vocalist Matt McGachy, a keyboardist in Maggy Durand and the loss of long-term guitarist Jon Levasseur - is unfortunately no different.

Indeed, Cryptopsy go down some frankly bemusing avenues on their latest batch, such as the godawful 'Bemoan the Martyr' which includes ill-advised emo-esque crooning in a hackneyed attempt to latch onto the Dillinger Escape Plan bandwagon. Elsewhere, memorable riffs are a virtual non-event, with myriad unconnected, complicated riffs vying for attention in a messy barrage that gives little adherence to cohesion. Flo's drumming is as usual second to none, but by this stage it seems as though he's playing as fast as possible just for the sake of it, because he can. Is it unreasonable to expect more from the band that brought us a bona fide death metal classic in the past? 'Leach' and its cohorts also go down the cleanly sung chorus route, and McGachy is certainly no Greg Puciato despite possessing a fairly diverse range of growls and screams at his disposal.

Cryptopsy seem at something of a loss as to what direction they want to take on The Unspoken King. Death metal? Death core? DEP clone? The whole thing plays like a mish-mash of ideas flung together in a flurry of technical riffing that simply fails to hold the attention. It's galling that the only memorable moments occur because of their sheer ham-fistedness, and this along with a dry-washed-out production leaves The Unspoken King as Cryptopsy's weakest effort yet. Furthermore, Maggy Durand's name in the band member list is a mystery, for there is little sign of her input aside from the occasional trite noises that have found their way onto past Cryptopsy albums anyway. A major disappointment from a band who have lost direction - The Unspoken King was a golden opportunity to clear the decks after the misstep of Lord Worm's return, but Once Was Not is a classic compared to this.

Official Cryptopsy Website

Official Cryptopsy MySpace
Official Century Media Website

Good review, don't agree with the bits about once was not tho. Whilst not there best I can at least listen to and enjoy it, I can't say the same of there latest or any of the DiSalvo albums.

ive had the not so big pleasure of hearing this album..and its a huge
dissapointment.only got one word for it, shit.
there are better albums to listen to this year than this,please
skip this one.

Good review, don't agree with the bits about once was not tho. Whilst not there best I can at least listen to and enjoy it, I can't say the same of there latest or any of the DiSalvo albums.
While not a big fan of the DiSalvo era, I still feel Whisper Supremacy shat all over Once Was Not, although the latter was still a lot better than TUK.

For some reason I am digging this disc very much. I have given it at least 15 spins, and every time I noticed more and more, and it is actually very well written music, and I can actually understand the new singers growls better than Lord Worm's. I appreciate every album for what it is and not comparing it to their others, and if you listen to this not thinking of previous efforts, then this cd is very good.