Cubase & commercial use

shine

Crunchy
Jan 7, 2007
Hi guys!

I've been wondering this lately even I read EULA couple of times few years back.
Wanna see how you get this.
Does anyone know are you able to use loops/melodies/samples 100% in commercial use when you buy Cubase with no limitation?
For example, use some loop or melody (3-4 sec)with no modifying it that comes with Groove Agent SE 4 or Loopmachine that are part of the Cubase and use it to make a song around of it and then sell it.

Here's the part from the EULA:

The samples of so-called Loops remain the property of the respective rights holder (Big Fish Audio, Inc. and other licensors) and are licensed by Steinberg to you only for use in the creation of a live or recorded performance that includes the licensed samples as part of a derivative musical work created by the licensed end user. This license includes the use of the samples, the modification of the samples and the marketing of the derivative musical work without infringing any rights of copyright collecting societies and/or the owners of copyrights in any samples. The samples may not be included, whether unmodified or as part of a derivative work, in any sample library product.

The way I see it and a lot of other folks is that you can use loops or samples once you buy Cubase in every possible situation as long as it doesn't infringe any rights...for example selling them in some kind of commercial sound library pack or sell them individually...

Right?

I think it's pretty clear ! I also don't think any company would include loops that you can't freely use in your productions, that would be silly.

The portion you quoted states that you may use them freely as long as you do not include the samples themselves in a similar sample library for sale.

It was "unclear" to me for a bit...but now it's 100% clear! The only "funny" part would be if some band used the same loop/melody for their song for example. Wonder what would happen then? A "Copyright infringement" for using the same loop/melody? Even if you own the right/ license to use it?:confused:

I think it's pretty clear ! I also don't think any company would include loops that you can't freely use in your productions, that would be silly.

Exactly what I thought, but just wanted to see what other people think.