Cubase Preview on Plug-in Processing

Mar 18, 2008
I did an online search and looked through the manual and everything and couldn't find a solution and I know other people have to be having this problem and there's probably a stupid solution for it.

Whenever I try to apply a plug-in to an audio file (not to a track in the mixer but to the specific audio file) I can't hear what the plugin is doing when I hit the preview button. I opened up a plugin that had an output meter and could see that the audio was going through it, I just dont know where the output is going, how to find out, or how to change it. Its not going through my computer speakers, or the main output of my interface. Has anyone had this problem and know how to fix it?

I have the same problem. I usually just apply the effect to the track to preview it and then when i have the settings i like i apply it to the single audio file. The preview button doesn't seem to work for me either.

Finally figured it out. Im using Cubase 5, dont know if that makes a difference, but the preview doesnt have its own routing option. When Control Room is turned on it automatically routes to that, and it must be turned on by default because I have never messed with it. But when Control Room is turned off, it automatically routes to the main output.

Yep it does. Cubase SX or SX 3 had the individual routing option. Cubase 5 it got taken out and put into Control Room.

I use Control Room so much that I don't remember if it is default or not. But I did have to set mine up.

Just make sure you disable it before you start mixing. Otherwise you end up with all sorts of problems.