Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Cult Of Luna – Cult Of Luna
Earache – MOSH271CDPRO – 4th August 2003
By Russell Garwood

Cult Of Luna’s latest output is a re-release of their sold-out, self-titled debut, of which only 2000 were originally pressed by their first label, Rage Of Achilles. The band’s music is a valuable addition to the noise-core scene, being similar in style to Neurosis and Isis; huge, rhythmic, morphing barriers of sound creating desolate yet affecting atmospheres. The band successfully use repetition and gradual development to their advantage, with each thick composition becoming more complex and noisy, layer by layer, until they inevitably break down, only for another barrage to begin.

The post/hardcore screaming of Klas is fitting in a relatively caustic sound, while Johannes and Erik’s guitars betray melody, and occasionally make use of disharmonies. The drums of Marco are powerful, a major component of the very rhythmic music, and rely on slower, crushing beats, while bass provided by Andreas helps create an unforgiving rhythm section. Magnus’ samples are used subtly but to great effect, all adding up to a demanding, yet compelling release. "Cult Of Luna" is an impressive debut, a must for all noise fans, and one which those new to the sound may find a welcome introduction as well; despite long songs and a demanding nature, this release is relatively accessible, and always rewarding.

Yes, a great album. In my opinion, better than The Beyond.

I didn't know only 2000 were pressed for Rage of Achilles. I have 1 of 2000, cool.